kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* The Kernel knows. But how ? Did the acpi make a secret dead drop ?
@ 2019-01-06  8:52 Jay Aurabind
From: Jay Aurabind @ 2019-01-06  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

The subject line might be a bit dramatic, but I assure you my question is
isn't.

I have a 3-axis accelerometer (LIS3LV02DL) in my laptop which shows up as
an input device. Since its x86, I am assuming the necessary information was
encoded in ACPI Tables. But I cannot find any mention of this device in the
acpi tables exposed by the kernel.

I tried grepping through all the ACPI tables in /sys/firmware/acpi/tables.
I was hoping to find some string that could identify the corresponding
kernel drivers. But there are no hits for "lis". I suppose string based
literals are not the way acpi works like in kernel device-driver matching.
The driver in question is  drivers/misc/lis3lv02d/lis3lv02d.c

So what exactly in the ACPI triggered the kernel module lis3lv02d to be
loaded ?

--

Thanks and Regards,
*Aurabindo J*