kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>
To: kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Re: Do I need strong mathematical bases to work in the memory subsystem?
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2019 19:49:47 -0600	[thread overview]

On 10/2/19 9:42 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> General plumbing is not needed, but predictive trees, and crypto
> certainly do and some hardware problems need calc, or even integration.

Those sound like hyper specific things and decidedly specif subsets of
the kernel.

I believe that there is a LOT of room for kernel development that does
not need advanced mathematics.

> The harder the job, the more math is needed.

math ≠ advanced mathematics

I concede that quite a bit of math is used in the kernel.  But advanced
mathematics is a ⊂ of mathematics.

> Maybe, but I don't think so.  And the hardware is getting more exotic.

IMHO the eccentricity of the hardware has no direct correlation to the
complexity of the device driver controlling said hardware.

Driving an external serial attached modem does not require advanced
mathematics.  Creating a software based modem, be it kernel space and /
or user space, does require advanced mathematics.  Notice how the
simpler hardware requires more math conversely the more complex hardware
does more of the work, thus needing simpler drivers.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die