kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* What's the relationship between linux-next and mainline
@ 2020-10-14  9:29 wuzhouhui
From: wuzhouhui @ 2020-10-14  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

Frequently, I found Stephen Rothwell send email about he have created
today's linux-next tree.
On the other hand, the maintainer sometimes write their pull request
like "these changes have
been sitting in linux-next for a while".

So, what's the relationship between linux-next and mainline? Is
linux-next a temporary integrating
tree for maintainers to merge and test?

Thanks.

* Re: What's the relationship between linux-next and mainline
@ 2020-10-14  9:42 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-10-14  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wuzhouhui; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 11:30 AM wuzhouhui <wuzhouhui14@mails.ucas.ac.cn> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Frequently, I found Stephen Rothwell send email about he have created
> today's linux-next tree.
> On the other hand, the maintainer sometimes write their pull request
> like "these changes have
> been sitting in linux-next for a while".
>
> So, what's the relationship between linux-next and mainline? Is
> linux-next a temporary integrating
> tree for maintainers to merge and test?

Here is some documentation:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/2.Process.html#next-trees

You will find a bit more documentation on some man pages and some
lwn.net articles.

Maybe you check if what is written in the kernel documentation is
still up to date and add more information that you found in different
sources to the kernel documentation.

Lukas