Ksummit-Discuss Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
To: Daniel Borkmann <daniel@iogearbox.net>
Cc: robh@kernel.org, ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org,
	gregkh@linuxfoundation.org, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@gmail.com>,
	helgaas@kernel.org, workflows@vger.kernel.org,
	Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com>,
	hch@lst.de, stefan@datenfreihafen.org
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Reflections on kernel development processes
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 17:24:10 -0400

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 02:52:01PM +0200, Daniel Borkmann wrote:
> > Most (all) of the "kit" functionality should be separated from the UI
> > and be available for scripting/automation/other UIs. Whether it's
> > done as "libgit" or as "shell out" is discussable.
> [...]
> On that note, such a tool would also need to co-exist with the current
> email based process for some (long?) time in order to allow a smooth
> transition period. Last week I spent a few of nights hacking a small tool
> which is regularly pulling the lore git trees I'm interested in and checking
> out all [new] mails into maildir format so they can be read naturally by
> UIs like mutt et al [0]. As an experiment, in case of bpf vger mailing list,
> it extracts all current ~8k mails in under a second:

Thanks for working on this -- I've started on a similar tool in the
past, but got distracted and never completed it. In my implementation,
it was piping messages to procmail, which allowed writing complex rules
for folders/pre-processing, etc. May I suggest that your tool also
offers a stdout that can be piped to procmail?

-K

  parent reply index