Ksummit-Discuss Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Rob Herring <robh@kernel.org>
To: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: ksummit <ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Reflections on kernel development processes
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 17:22:59 +0100

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 1:06 PM Konstantin Ryabitsev
<konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:08:04AM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Many of you attended Dmitry Vyukov's talk at the Kernel Summit track
> > today, "Reflections on Kernel Development Process, Quality, and
> > Testing".  (For those of you who haven't, the slides are available
> > here[1].)
> >
> > [1] https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/4/contributions/554/attachments/353/584/Reflections__Kernel_Summit_2019.pdf
> >
> > Greg K-H has suggested, and I strongly agree, that it would be
> > worthwhile to add this to the agenda of the Maintainer's Summit.  In
> > particular, what next steps should we take and what should be the
> > criteria and the process for trying to further standardize our tools
> > and processes in order to make make our development processes more
> > mature and to improve developer productivity and happiness.
> >
> > If you didn't attend the talk, I encourage you to take a look at the
> > slide, so we don't have to spend time trying to bring people up to
> > speed on the discussion to date.  My plan is to schedule this as our
> > first topic tomorrow afternoon.
>
> To follow-up, this is a very rough outline of a proposal that I am going
> to submit to the Foundation in hopes to fund maintainer tool
> development. It follows along some of the lines highlighted in Dmitry's
> talk.

As long as the submitter side is a free-for-all, that's going to make
the maintainer tools more complex to implement and less reliable.
Seems like submitter tools should be included here too. Specifically,
the steps between having a git branch ready for review and
git-send-email are a lot of manual steps. Though maybe a lot of that
is just all of us agreeing on more standardized requirements as is
being discussed in 'Maintainer Entry Profiles'.

> --------
>
> # Stage 1 (Normal brain): "local patchwork"
>
> - Implement a mutt-like tool ("putt"?) that uses locally cloned
>   public-inbox archives to track patches/series submitted to mailing
>   lists
>     - Pre-filters by keywords and paths in patches
>     - Tracks and automatically inserts taglines
>       (Reviewed-by, Acked-by, Tested-by)

A frequent problem I see is submitters failing to add tags on
subsequent versions. Either the tool can check older versions and
apply those tags too or provide an auto reply to the submitter. Either
way, if we have an interdiff, it should be easy to distinguish cases
of the submitter forgetting vs. patch changed and we need to re-review
it.

>     - Can ignore a patch/series until it sees certain taglines
>       (Tested-by: zeroday bot, Reviewed-by: Trusty Intern)

There's also ignore after seeing a tag. IOW, if I've acked something I
want to ignore it.