Ksummit-Discuss Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Daniel Borkmann <daniel@iogearbox.net>
To: konstantin@linuxfoundation.org
Cc: robh@kernel.org, ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org,
	gregkh@linuxfoundation.org, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@gmail.com>,
	helgaas@kernel.org, workflows@vger.kernel.org,
	Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com>,
	hch@lst.de, stefan@datenfreihafen.org
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Reflections on kernel development processes
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 23:33:06 +0200

On 9/30/19 11:24 PM, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 02:52:01PM +0200, Daniel Borkmann wrote:
>>> Most (all) of the "kit" functionality should be separated from the UI
>>> and be available for scripting/automation/other UIs. Whether it's
>>> done as "libgit" or as "shell out" is discussable.
>> [...]
>> On that note, such a tool would also need to co-exist with the current
>> email based process for some (long?) time in order to allow a smooth
>> transition period. Last week I spent a few of nights hacking a small tool
>> which is regularly pulling the lore git trees I'm interested in and checking
>> out all [new] mails into maildir format so they can be read naturally by
>> UIs like mutt et al [0]. As an experiment, in case of bpf vger mailing list,
>> it extracts all current ~8k mails in under a second:
>
> Thanks for working on this -- I've started on a similar tool in the
> past, but got distracted and never completed it. In my implementation,
> it was piping messages to procmail, which allowed writing complex rules
> for folders/pre-processing, etc. May I suggest that your tool also
> offers a stdout that can be piped to procmail?

I have a rough version working now. ;-) Just pushed to [0]. Let me know if that
does the trick on your side, I've added example configs for procmail to the repo
as well for getting started. Did a quick run for l2md -> procmail -> mutt and
seems fine as far as I can tell. (Patches always welcome of course.)

Thanks,
Daniel

   [0] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dborkman/l2md.git/