ksummit.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [Ksummit-discuss] Self-nomination for 2020 TAB election
@ 2020-08-16 20:49 Christian Brauner
From: Christian Brauner @ 2020-08-16 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hey,

I would like to stand for election to the Technical Advisory Board.

I have been an active kernel contributor for about 5 years and a
maintainer for about 2 years. I've been working on various parts of the
kernel spanning multiple subsystems but often like to concentrate on
process management, parts of the vfs, and security.
I'm involved in developing and maintaining core technologies in the
kernel that are in use in virtually all container runtimes and most
sandboxing solutions across userspace. As a member of the TAB I'd like
to help further the adoption of security relevant container features
across the industry.

Being a maintainer of large userspace projects too, I have worked to
bring kernel development and low-level userspace closer together. This
aims to ensure improved API design and increased security for all
distros and companies. This has already proven useful as we were adding
various new userspace APIs that have seen rapid adoption over the last
two years.

I really enjoy being part of the organizing committee of the Linux
Plumbers conference this year. A healthy relationship between the Linux
Foundation and Linux Plumbers and other kernel conferences is vital for
the kernel community. Being a member of the TAB I'd like to maintain and
strengthen that relationship!

Being on the TAB I would also like to enable more young developers to
take on responsibility in the kernel community. The TAB also is a great
opportunity to not just help bring in new ideas but also to listen and
learn from already established members.

I am extremely grateful for the encouragement and nudges from existing
and former TAB members to stand for election this year!

I'm always happy to answer any questions and welcome feedback of course.
Just write me a mail or message me on Twitter (@brau_ner).

Thank you!
Christian

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self-nomination for 2020 TAB election
@ 2020-08-17 20:10 Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2020-08-17 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tech-board-discuss; +Cc: ksummit

Hello,

Please add me to the candidate list for this year's TAB elections.

The Technical Advisory Board pools the experience and influence of a
group of Linux kernel development community members to collaborate and
respond to issues impacting the wider Linux community. I am motivated
to continue in this role, motivated to offer my perspective and effort
to positively impact the health of the community. In particular, I am
interested in the topics of maintainer-contributor relations,
inclusion, and the long term viability of the upstream / GPL Linux
kernel development model.

Since 2005 my kernel development experience has ranged from low-level
Arm / x86 enabling, to storage device-drivers, and most recently
persistent memory and device memory management. I believe I bring a
unique perspective to the TAB and am thankful for the opportunity to
serve with your support.

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self-nomination for 2020 TAB election
@ 2020-08-16 22:20 Laura Abbott
From: Laura Abbott @ 2020-08-16 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss, tech-board-discuss

Hi,

I would like to nominate myself for re-election to the Technical
Advisory Board. During my past two years on the TAB I've done
a lot of work on elections. My focus has been on making sure that
the TAB is representative of as much of the kernel community as
possible. I've gotten to learn a lot of the history of the TAB
and the problems its worked on in the past.

My past kernel work has included everything from Android to pieces
related to the Kernel Self-Protection Project. While no longer a
kernel maintainer in my day job, I still support the kernel community
and plan to continue participating in the future.

I've also served as chair for the online version for Linux Plumbers
2020. Bringing Plumbers online has been a unique experience and
I hope to continue working with the TAB to support Plumbers into
whatever 2021 decides to bring.

My goal for the future is to help make sure the TAB is focusing on
the right problems and to support the kernel community as it
continues to change and grow.

Thanks,
Laura

* [Ksummit-discuss] Self-nomination for 2020 TAB election
@ 2020-08-10 19:20 Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2020-08-10 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss

Hi,

I'm volunteering again to stand for election to the Technical Advisory
Board.

My primary concern for the kernel is security. I've been a member of
the security@kernel.org response team for 7 years, and I've been
herding cats with the Kernel Self-Protection Project[0] for 5 years. I
have frequently worked kernel-wide across many subsystems (or many
architectures) when helping land various security defenses. This
cross-maintainer work is a unique social and technical challenge, and
the topic of "security" is a similarly wide and unique challenge. I'd
like to continue to represent both of these concerns on the TAB.

In addition to being an active kernel developer and maintainer[1], I also
bring several "downstream" perspectives on how the kernel is consumed.
I understand the concerns of a general purpose-distro, having worked
on Ubuntu for 5 years. More recently, I know the demands of special
purpose device vendors, having worked on Chrome OS, Brillo, and
Android over the last 9 years.

In the last 2 years on the TAB I've supported the move to expanding the
TAB voting to online participation, and more recently spent time trying to
focus[2] the discussion of inclusive language into something productive
where we could still actually make meaningful changes in existing
subsystems[3], upstream projects[4], and, obviously, Coding Style[5].

Thanks for your consideration,

-Kees

[0] https://kernsec.org/wiki/index.php/Kernel_Self_Protection_Project
[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/?q=f%3A%22Kees+Cook%22+s%3A%22GIT+PULL%22