ksummit.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: SeongJae Park <sj@kernel.org>
To: ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org, ksummit@lists.linux.dev
Cc: linux-mm@kvack.org, damon@lists.linux.dev, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: [TECH TOPIC] Current Status and Future Plans of DAMON
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 22:43:06 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello all,

I'm posing my Kernel Summit topic suggestion as below.  I will also submit it
on LPC site.

DAMON[1] is Linux kernel's data access monitoring framework that provides
best-effort accuracy under user-specified overhead range.  It has been about
one year after it has been merged in the mainline.  Meanwhile, we received a
number of new voices for DAMON from users and made efforts for answering to
those.  Nevertheless, many things to do for that are remaining.

This talk will share what such voices we received, what patches are developed
or under development for those, what requests are still under plan only, and
what the plans are.  With that, hopefully we will have discussions that will be
helpful for improving and prioritizing the plans and specific tasks, and
finding new requirements.

Specific sub-topics will include, but not limited to:

- Making DAMON ABI more stable and flexibile
- Extending DAMON for more usages
- Improving DAMON accuracy
- DAMON-based kernel/user space optimization policies
- Making user space DAMON policies more efficient
- Making kernel space DAMON policies just work (auto-tuning)

[1] https://damonitor.github.io

Thanks,
SJ