On Sat, 2022-06-18 at 22:33 +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote: > The effort to add Rust support to the kernel is ongoing. There has > been progress in different areas during the last year, and there are > several topics that could benefit from discussion: > > - Dividing the `kernel` crate into pieces, dependency management > between internal crates, writing crates in the rest of the kernel > tree, etc. > > - Whether to allow dependencies on external crates and vendoring of > useful third-party crates. > > - Toolchain requirements in the future and status of Rust unstable features. > This one is a constant pain point for me in another project which combines C and Rust code. We are constantly being told "of *course* that doesn't work; you haven't updated your Rust toolchain for a whole week!" It also makes bisection basically impossible at times, because during bisection we find that older code doesn't build with the *new* toolchain either. I think we need to set *very* clear rules and expectations about how many times a decade it's permitted to require a new rust toolchain.