ksummit.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* kSummit proposal - The Linux kernel in ChromeOS
@ 2021-08-24  1:05 Alex Levin
From: Alex Levin @ 2021-08-24  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit; +Cc: Jesse Barnes

Hi Linux friends,

Jesse Barnes, Chrome OS baseOS (Firmware+Kernel) lead, and myself
would like to present the current state of affairs of the Linux kernel
on ChromeOS and the challenges we face, how we solve them and get your
feedback.  We can also talk about how our efforts can help upstream
development, for example by running experiments in the field to
compare approaches to a specific problem or area.

Shipping ChromeOS to millions of users that span across hundreds of
different platforms, multiple active kernel versions and across many
different SoC architectures, introduces interesting challenges:

- Testing the upstream RC on as many platforms as we can as early as we can.
- Updating the Linux kernel on existing platforms (millions of users at a time).
- Managing technical “debt” and keeping the ChromeOS kernel as close
as possible to the upstream kernel.
- Current pain points in dealing with upstream.

We feel 45-60 minutes would be enough and will allow a discussion.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Alex Levin,
ChromeOS platform tech lead.