ksummit.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Matthias Brugger <mbrugger@suse.com>
To: Stephen Boyd <sboyd@kernel.org>,
	Rob Herring <robherring2@gmail.com>,
	Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@intel.com>
Cc: Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@kernel.org>,
	ksummit <ksummit-discuss@lists.linuxfoundation.org>,
	Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-discuss] Topics for the Maintainer's Summit
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 10:19:32 +0200	[thread overview]

On 11/09/2019 11:53, Stephen Boyd wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> - The system would know what the message-ids of the patches are, because
>>>   it would generate them itself. Thus it would know what messages on the
>>>   list are patches it sent, and which versions of the patches and/or
>>>   series, and which replies are review. (It's incredibly hard for
>>>   patchwork to identify patch series and their versions just by reading
>>>   the list. It can get confused by review that contains a patch.)
>>>
>>> - New versions of patch series could automatically contain a diff
>>>   against the previous version of the patches/series. You could easily
>>>   tell if the previous review still holds or needs checking.
>
> I do this by applying all patch series and grabbing the version tag out
> of the PATCHv<N> part and using 'git range-diff' to see what's changed.
> I don't do this very often though because it's a huge pain. We could ask
> developers to use --interdiff on 'git format-patch' but again this is a
> process roadblock.
>

>>> - You'd still retain the familiar email based review, but it would be
>>>   easier to find the various versions of the series, and you'd always
>>>   have the changes readily available in a git repo. (This ties to a
>>>   previous discussion about how to link patch series versions
>>>   together. It could be all taken care of, automatically.)
>>>
>>> - The maintainers could keep their email based flow, applying patches
>>>   from the list. But there'd be fewer email related technical problems
>>>   with them. Additionally, there'd be a way to pull the patches directly
>>>   from a git tree, possibly pre-amended with the Reviewed-by, Tested-by,
>>>   Link, etc. tags.
>>>
>>> - You could add tons of useful git hooks on the contributions, ranging
>>>   from pre-merge testing to notifying linked bugs and whatnot.
>>>
>>> Note that I'm not suggesting contributors should have git repos from
>>> which they send pull requests. Instead, you'd have a centralized repo
>>> for the project where you can push your submission. Sure, lots of
>>> details to work out there. But the git send-email part is, IMHO, a
>>> broken part of our process, even if the changes keep being distributed
>>> as emailed patches. It just doesn't seem that way to the people on this
>>> list, because we've figured all of this out eons ago for ourselves. We
>>> forget the long tail of contributors that we always brag about.
>>
>> I certainly agree that the steps between having a git branch ready and
>> sending the patches could be improved. If we can automate taking a git
>> branch and sending the emails on the server side, we could do it on
>> the client side too. The same problems will exist and need to be
>> solved: get_maintainers.pl is not completely accurate, who to Cc on
>> individual patches vs. series, writing version history, etc.
>
> The git project has this "bridge", sort of. It's called GitGitGadget[1].
> It would be awesome if we could have something similar for the kernel so
> that we can get more contributors through the 'github' model and try to
> nudge them to use email at the same time.

I think that would help to lower the burden to contribute to the kernel.
Actually my experience with people starting to work with the kernel is not so
much the technical part they are struggling with. But more all the processes we
have around the kernel. If we could get an "intelligent" GitGitGadget type of
service, that could help all the developers that come from a github-centered
background.