kvm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@redhat.com>
To: Sylvain Bauza <sbauza@redhat.com>
Cc: "Cornelia Huck" <cohuck@redhat.com>,
	"Daniel P. Berrangé" <berrange@redhat.com>,
	"kvm@vger.kernel.org" <kvm@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Libvirt Devel" <libvir-list@redhat.com>,
	"Kirti Wankhede" <kwankhede@nvidia.com>,
	"Erik Skultety" <eskultet@redhat.com>,
	"Pavel Hrdina" <phrdina@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: mdevctl: A shoestring mediated device management and persistence utility
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 16:12:10 -0600	[thread overview]

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 14:48:11 +0200
Sylvain Bauza <sbauza@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:01 PM Cornelia Huck <cohuck@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 11:05:17 -0600
> > Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@redhat.com> wrote:

> > management,
> > and
> > to what

> > mdevctl
> > listing,
> > Currently, for
> > persistent.  I can
> > might
> > plus this
> > meet

> > persist
> > with a

> > > I was thinking that the config file would identify the device as
> > > transient, therefore if the system crashed we'd have the opportunity to
> > > purge those entries on the next boot as we're processing the entries
> > > for that parent device.  Clearly it has yet to be implemented, but I
> > > expect there are some advantages to tracking devices via a transient
> > > config entry or else we're constantly re-discovering foreign mdevs.
> >
> > I think we need to reach consensus about the actual scope of the
> > mdevctl tool.
> >

> Thanks Cornelia, my thoughts:
>
> - Is it supposed to be responsible for managing *all* mdev devices in
> >   the system, or is it more supposed to be a convenience helper for
> >   users/software wanting to manage mdevs?
> >

> The latter. If an operator (or some software) wants to create mdevs by not
> using mdevctl (and rather directly calling the sysfs), I think it's OK.
> That said, mdevs created by mdevctl would be supported by systemctl, while
> the others not but I think it's okay.

I agree (sort of), and I'm hearing that we should drop any sort of
automatic persistence of mdevs created outside of mdevctl.  The problem
comes when we try to draw the line between unmanaged and manged
devices.  For instance, if we have a command to list mdevs it would
feel incomplete if it didn't list all mdevs both those managed by
mdevctl and those created elsewhere.  For managed devices, I expect
we'll also have commands that allow the mode of the device to be
switched between transient, saved, and persistent.  Should a user then
be allowed to promote an unmanaged device to one of these modes via the
same command?  Should they be allowed to stop an unmanaged device
through driverctl?  Through systemctl?  These all seem like reasonable
things to do, so what then is the difference between transient and
unmanaged mdev and is mdevctl therefore managing all mdevs, not just
those it has created?

> - Do we want mdevctl to manage config files for individual mdevs, or
> >   are they supposed to be in a common format that can also be managed
> >   by e.g. libvirt?
> >

> Unless I misunderstand, I think mdevctl just helps to create mdevs for
> being used by guests created either by libvirt or QEMU or even others.
> How a guest would allocate a mdev (ie. saying "I'll use this specific mdev
> UUID") is IMHO not something for mdevctl.

Right, mdevctl isn't concerned with how a specific mdev is used, but I
think what Connie is after is more the proposal from Daniel where
libvirt can essentially manage mdevctl config files itself and then
only invoke mdevctl for the dirty work of creating and deleting
devices.  In fact, assuming systemd, libvirt could avoid direct
interaction with mdevctl entirely, instead using systemctl device units
to start and stop the mdevs.  Maybe where that proposal takes a turn is
when we again consider non-systemd hosts, where maybe mdevctl needs to
write out an init script per mdev and libvirt injecting itself into
manipulation of the config files would either need to perform the same
or fall back to mdevctl.  Unfortunately there seems to be an ultimatum
to either condone external config file manipulation or expand the scope
of the project into becoming a library.

> - Should mdevctl be a stand-alone tool, provide library functions, or
> >   both? Related: should it keep any internal state that is not written
> >   to disk? (I think that also plays into the transient vs. persistent
> >   question.)

I don't think we want an mdevctld, if that's what you mean by internal
state not written to disk.  I think we ideally want all state in the
mdev config files or discerned through sysfs.  How we handle
non-systemd hosts may throw a wrench in that though since currently the
systemd integration relies on a template to support arbitrary mdevs and
I'm not sure how to replicate that in other init services.  If we need
to dynamically manage per mdev init files in addition to config files,
we're not so self contained.

> FWIW, I'd love using mdevctl for OpenStack (Nova) just at least for
> creating persisted mdevs (ie. mdevs that would be recreated after rebooting
> using systemctl). That's the real use case I need.
> Whether libvirt would internally support mdevctl would be nice but that's
> not really something Nova needs, so I leave others providing their own
> thoughts.
>

> My personal opinion is that mdevctl should be able to tolerate mdevs
> > being configured by other means, but probably should not try to impose
> > its own configuration if it detects that (unless explicitly asked to do
> > so). Not sure how feasible that goal is.
> >
> > That's what I misunderstand : in order to have a guest using a vGPU, you
> need to do two things :
> 1/ create the mdev
> 2/ allocate this created dev to a specific guest config
>
> Of course, we could imagine a way to have both steps to be done directly by
> libvirt, but from my opinion, mdevctl is really helping 1/ and not 2/.

Yep, we also don't want to presume libvirt is the only consumer here.
mdevctl should also support other VM management tools, users who write
their own management scripts, and even non-VM related use cases.

> > A well-defined config file format is probably a win, even if it only
> > ends up being used by mdevctl itself.

Yes, regardless of whether others touch them, conversion scripts on
upgrade should be avoided.  Do we need something beyond a key=value
file?  So far we're only storing the mdev type and startup mode, but
vfio-ap clearly needs more, apparently key=value1,value2,... type
representation.  Still, I think I'd prefer simple over jumping to xml
or json or yaml.  Thanks,

Alex