kvm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: KVM on Via Nano (Isaiah) CPUs?
@ 2009-04-01 20:04 Jesse Ahrens
From: Jesse Ahrens @ 2009-04-01 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

 > Via engineers have contacted me and confirmed that this is a problem in
 > the processor.

I'd like to clarify. Stepping 2 Nano processors do not support VMX. This
should have been disabled by the BIOS. Support for VMX was not finished
until stepping 3. If you have a stepping 2 processor with this enabled
please let me know which platform it is on so we can have the
manufacturer release a new BIOS.

Jesse Ahrens
Systems Engineer
Centaur Technology

* Re: KVM on Via Nano (Isaiah) CPUs?
@ 2009-04-02  9:08 ` Oliver Rath
From: Oliver Rath @ 2009-04-02  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jahrens; +Cc: kvm

Hi Jesse!

Jesse Ahrens schrieb:
> > Via engineers have contacted me and confirmed that this is a problem in
> > the processor.
>
> I'd like to clarify. Stepping 2 Nano processors do not support VMX.
> This should have been disabled by the BIOS. Support for VMX was not
> finished until stepping 3. If you have a stepping 2 processor with
> this enabled please let me know which platform it is on so we can have
> the manufacturer release a new BIOS.

What is the actual Stepping for Via Nano Processors? Is VT running fine
since stepping 3?

Regards

Oliver

* Re: KVM on Via Nano (Isaiah) CPUs?
@ 2009-05-09  9:32     ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-05-09  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Metz; +Cc: kvm, andreas.tanz

Craig Metz wrote:
> In message <49D396AB.6090304@redhat.com>, you write:
>
>> Via engineers have contacted me and confirmed that this is a problem in
>> the processor.
>>

>   Is there a known-fixed CPU revision?
>
>   Is there a way to identify working vs. non-working chips, either from IC
> stamp or from /proc/cpuinfo? (Bonus: is it possible to put a check and an error
> into the kvm-intel kernel model?)

I have no idea.  Please contact Via for this information.

signature is too narrow to contain.

* Re: KVM on Via Nano (Isaiah) CPUs?
@ 2009-05-08 19:16   ` Craig Metz
From: Craig Metz @ 2009-05-08 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm, andreas.tanz

In message <49D396AB.6090304@redhat.com>, you write:
>Via engineers have contacted me and confirmed that this is a problem in
>the processor.

  Is there a known-fixed CPU revision?

  Is there a way to identify working vs. non-working chips, either from IC
stamp or from /proc/cpuinfo? (Bonus: is it possible to put a check and an error
into the kvm-intel kernel model?)

  Thanks,

																		-Craig

* Re: KVM on Via Nano (Isaiah) CPUs?
@ 2009-04-01 16:30 ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-04-01 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Metz; +Cc: kvm, andreas.tanz

Craig Metz wrote:
>   Has anyone (esp. the KVM core developers) tried to determine whether KVM
> works on the new Via Nano CPUs? They claim to support the Intel-style VT-x
> instruction set extensions and show up in cpuinfo that way. But, according to
> some Google searching, folks who have tried to use KVM (or Hyper-V) have not
> been succesful. It's not clear if this is a CPU implementation problem and/or
> something that needs more work in KVM.

Via engineers have contacted me and confirmed that this is a problem in
the processor.

signature is too narrow to contain.

* KVM on Via Nano (Isaiah) CPUs?
@ 2009-02-16 13:45 Craig Metz
From: Craig Metz @ 2009-02-16 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

  Has anyone (esp. the KVM core developers) tried to determine whether KVM
works on the new Via Nano CPUs? They claim to support the Intel-style VT-x
instruction set extensions and show up in cpuinfo that way. But, according to
some Google searching, folks who have tried to use KVM (or Hyper-V) have not
been succesful. It's not clear if this is a CPU implementation problem and/or
something that needs more work in KVM.

  Has anyone tried this / debugged this?

  Thanks,

																	-Craig