Chris Wright wrote: > * Gregory Haskins (ghaskins@novell.com) wrote: > >> Let me ask you this: If you had a clean slate and were designing a >> hypervisor and a guest OS from scratch: What would you make the bus >> look like? >> > > Well, virtio did have a relatively clean slate. And PCI (as _one_ > transport option) is what it looks like. It's not the only transport > (as Avi already mentioned it works for s390, for example). > Got it. Thanks. > BTW, from my brief look at vbus, it seems pretty similar to xenbus. > If you are referring to the guest side interface, it was actually inspired by lguest's bus (I forget what Rusty called it now, though). I think I actually declared that in the original patch series I put out 1.5 years ago, but I might have inadvertently omitted that on this go-round. I think XenBus is more of an event channel infrastructure, isn't it? But in any case, I think the nature of getting PV drivers into a guest is relatively similar, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were parallels in quite a few of the implementations. In fact, I chose a generic name like "vbus" in hopes that it could be used across different hypervisors. :) -Greg