kvm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@de.ibm.com>
To: Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com>, KVM <kvm@vger.kernel.org>
Cc: Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com>,
	Laurent Vivier <lvivier@redhat.com>,
	Andrew Jones <drjones@redhat.com>,
	David Hildenbrand <david@redhat.com>,
	Janosch Frank <frankja@linux.ibm.com>,
	Nadav Amit <namit@vmware.com>, Liran Alon <liran.alon@oracle.com>,
	sean.j.christopherson@intel.com
Subject: Re: A new name for kvm-unit-tests ?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 08:38:54 +0200	[thread overview]

On 30.07.20 07:41, Thomas Huth wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> since Paolo recently suggested to decrease the bus factor for
> kvm-unit-tests [1], I suggested (in a private mail) to maybe also move
> the repo to one of the git forges where we could benefit from a CI

ack.

> system (so that we do not merge bugs so often anymore as it happened in
> the previous months). If we do that step, that might be a good point in
> time to rename the kvm-unit-tests to something more adequate. "Why?" you
> might ask ... well, the unit tests are not only useful for kvm anymore:

I personally dislike renames as you will have old references lurking in
the internet for decades. A rename will result in people continue to using
the old code because the old name is the only thing that they know.

[...]
> Maybe we should come up with a more fancy name for the test suite? For
> example something like "HECATE" - "*H*ypervisor *E*xecution and *C*pu
> instruction *A*dvanced *T*est *E*nvironment" (and Hecate is also the
> goddess of boundaries - which you could translate to the hypervisor
> being the boundary between the virtual and real machine ... with a
> little bit of imagination, of course) ... well, yeah, that's just what
> came to my mind so far, of course. Let's brainstorm ... do you have any
> good ideas for a new name of the kvm-unit-tests? Or do you love the old
> name and think it should stay? Or do you think cpu-unit-tests would be
> the best fit? Please let us know!

If we rename than hecate or cpu-unit-tests is fine for me, but I prefer
to keep the old name.