KVM Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
From: Nitesh Narayan Lal <nitesh@redhat.com>
To: Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@gmail.com>,
	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@redhat.com>
Cc: kvm list <kvm@vger.kernel.org>,
	David Hildenbrand <david@redhat.com>,
	Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@intel.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	linux-mm <linux-mm@kvack.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>,
	Yang Zhang <yang.zhang.wz@gmail.com>,
	pagupta@redhat.com, Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>,
	Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@oracle.com>,
	lcapitulino@redhat.com, wei.w.wang@intel.com,
	Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@redhat.com>,
	Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com>,
	dan.j.williams@intel.com,
	Alexander Duyck <alexander.h.duyck@linux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 6/6] virtio-balloon: Add support for aerating memory via hinting
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 12:03:23 -0400
Message-ID: <ef01c4af-b132-4bed-b1df-0338512caacd@redhat.com> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <CAKgT0UfQ3dtfjjm8wnNxX1+Azav6ws9zemH6KYc7RuyvyFo3fQ@mail.gmail.com>


On 7/18/19 11:34 AM, Alexander Duyck wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 10:14 PM Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 09:43:52AM -0700, Alexander Duyck wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 3:28 AM Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
>>>> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 02:06:59PM -0700, Alexander Duyck wrote:
>>>>> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 10:41 AM Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> <snip>
>>>>>
>>>>>>>> This is what I am saying. Having watched that patchset being developed,
>>>>>>>> I think that's simply because processing blocks required mm core
>>>>>>>> changes, which Wei was not up to pushing through.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> If we did
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>         while (1) {
>>>>>>>>                 alloc_pages
>>>>>>>>                 add_buf
>>>>>>>>                 get_buf
>>>>>>>>                 free_pages
>>>>>>>>         }
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> We'd end up passing the same page to balloon again and again.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> So we end up reserving lots of memory with alloc_pages instead.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> What I am saying is that now that you are developing
>>>>>>>> infrastructure to iterate over free pages,
>>>>>>>> FREE_PAGE_HINT should be able to use it too.
>>>>>>>> Whether that's possible might be a good indication of
>>>>>>>> whether the new mm APIs make sense.
>>>>>>> The problem is the infrastructure as implemented isn't designed to do
>>>>>>> that. I am pretty certain this interface will have issues with being
>>>>>>> given small blocks to process at a time.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Basically the design for the FREE_PAGE_HINT feature doesn't really
>>>>>>> have the concept of doing things a bit at a time. It is either
>>>>>>> filling, stopped, or done. From what I can tell it requires a
>>>>>>> configuration change for the virtio balloon interface to toggle
>>>>>>> between those states.
>>>>>> Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Filling state can definitely report things
>>>>>> a bit at a time. It does not assume that
>>>>>> all of guest free memory can fit in a VQ.
>>>>> I think where you and I may differ is that you are okay with just
>>>>> pulling pages until you hit OOM, or allocation failures. Do I have
>>>>> that right?
>>>> This is exactly what the current code does. But that's an implementation
>>>> detail which came about because we failed to find any other way to
>>>> iterate over free blocks.
>>> I get that. However my concern is that permeated other areas of the
>>> implementation that make taking another approach much more difficult
>>> than it needs to be.
>> Implementation would have to change to use an iterator obviously. But I don't see
>> that it leaked out to a hypervisor interface.
>>
>> In fact take a look at virtio_balloon_shrinker_scan
>> and you will see that it calls shrink_free_pages
>> without waiting for the device at all.
> Yes, and in case you missed it earlier I am pretty sure that leads to
> possible memory corruption. I don't think it was tested enough to be
> able to say that is safe.
>
> Specifically we cannot be clearing the dirty flag on pages that are in
> use. We should only be clearing that flag for pages that are
> guaranteed to not be in use.
>
>>>>> In my mind I am wanting to perform the hinting on a small
>>>>> block at a time and work through things iteratively.
>>>>>
>>>>> The problem is the FREE_PAGE_HINT doesn't have the option of returning
>>>>> pages until all pages have been pulled. It is run to completion and
>>>>> will keep filling the balloon until an allocation fails and the host
>>>>> says it is done.
>>>> OK so there are two points. One is that FREE_PAGE_HINT does not
>>>> need to allocate a page at all. It really just wants to
>>>> iterate over free pages.
>>> I agree that it should just want to iterate over pages. However the
>>> issue I am trying to point out is that it doesn't have any guarantees
>>> on ordering and that is my concern. What I want to avoid is
>>> potentially corrupting memory.
>> I get that. I am just trying to make sure you are aware that for
>> FREE_PAGE_HINT specifically ordering does not matter because it does not
>> care when hypervisor used the buffers. It only cares that page was
>> free after it got the request. used buffers are only tracked to avoid
>> overflowing the VQ. This is different from your hinting where you make
>> it the responsibility of the guest to not allocate page before it was
>> used.
> Prove to me that the ordering does not matter. As far as I can tell it
> should since this is being used to clear the bitmap and will affect
> migration. I'm pretty certain the page should not be freed until it
> has been processed. Otherwise I believe there is a risk of the page
> not being migrated and leading to a memory corruption when the VM is
> finally migrated.
>
>>> So for example with my current hinting approach I am using the list of
>>> hints because I get back one completion indicating all of the hints
>>> have been processed. It is only at that point that I can go back and
>>> make the memory available for allocation again.
>> Right. But just counting them would work just as well, no?
>> At least as long as you wait for everything to complete...
>> If you want to pipeline, see below
> Yes, but if possible I would also want to try and keep the batch
> behavior that I have. We could count the descriptors processed,
> however that is still essentially done all via busy waiting in the
> FREE_PAGE_HINT logic.
>
>>> So one big issue right now with the FREE_PAGE_HINT approach is that it
>>> is designed to be all or nothing. Using the balloon makes it
>>> impossible for us to be incremental as all the pages are contained in
>>> one spot. What we would need is some way to associate a page with a
>>> given vq buffer.
>> Sorry if I'm belaboring the obvious, but isn't this what 'void *data' in
>> virtqueue_add_inbuf is designed for?  And if you only ever use
>> virtqueue_add_inbuf and virtqueue_add_outbuf on a given VQ, then you can
>> track two pointers using virtqueue_add_inbuf_ctx.
> I am still learning virtio so I wasn't aware of this piece until
> yesterday. For FREE_PAGE_HINT it would probably work as we would then
> have that association. For my page hinting I am still thinking I would
> prefer to just pass around a scatterlist since that is the structure I
> would likely fill and then later drain of pages versus just
> maintaining a list.
>
>>> Ultimately in order to really make the FREE_PAGE_HINT
>>> logic work with something like my page hinting logic it would need to
>>> work more like a network Rx ring in that we would associate a page per
>>> buffer and have some way of knowing the two are associated.
>> Right. That's exactly how virtio net does it btw.
> Yeah, I saw that after reviewing the code yesterday.
>
>>>> The reason FREE_PAGE_HINT does not free up pages until we finished
>>>> iterating over the free list it not a hypervisor API. The reason is we
>>>> don't want to keep getting the same address over and over again.
>>>>
>>>>> I would prefer to avoid that as I prefer to simply
>>>>> notify the host of a fixed block of pages at a time and let it process
>>>>> without having to have a thread on each side actively pushing pages,
>>>>> or listening for the incoming pages.
>>>> Right. And FREE_PAGE_HINT can go even further. It can push a page and
>>>> let linux use it immediately. It does not even need to wait for host to
>>>> process anything unless the VQ gets full.
>>> If it is doing what you are saying it will be corrupting memory.
>> No and that is hypervisor's responsibility.
>>
>> I think you are missing part of the picture here.
>>
>> Here is a valid implementation:
>>
>> Before asking for hints, hypervisor write-protects all memory, and logs
>> all write faults. When hypervisor gets the hint, if page has since been
>> modified, the hint is ignored.
> No here is the part where I think you missed the point. I was already
> aware of this. So my concern is this scenario.
>
> If you put a hint on the VQ and then free the memory back to the
> guest, what about the scenario where another process could allocate
> the memory and dirty it before we process the hint request on the
> host? In that case the page was dirtied, the hypervisor will have
> correctly write faulted and dirtied it, and then we came though and
> incorrectly marked it as being free. That is the scenario I am worried
> about as I am pretty certain that leads to memory corruption.
>
>
>>> At a
>>> minimum it has to wait until the page has been processed and the dirty
>>> bit cleared before it can let linux use it again. It is all a matter
>>> of keeping the dirty bit coherent. If we let linux use it again
>>> immediately and then cleared the dirty bit we would open up a possible
>>> data corruption race during migration as a dirty page might not be
>>> marked as such.
>> I think you are talking about the dirty bit on the host, right?
>>
>> The implication is that calling MADV_FREE from qemu would
>> not be a good implementation of FREE_PAGE_HINT.
>> And indeed, as far as I can see it does nothing of the sort.
> I don't mean the dirty bit on the host, I am talking about the bitmap
> used to determine which pages need to be migrated. That is what this
> hint is updating and it is also being tracked via the write protection
> of the pages at the start of migration.
>
> My concern is that we can end up losing track of pages that are
> updated if we are hinting after they have been freed back to the guest
> for reallocation.
>
>>>>>>>>> The basic idea with the bubble hinting was to essentially create mini
>>>>>>>>> balloons. As such I had based the code off of the balloon inflation
>>>>>>>>> code. The only spot where it really differs is that I needed the
>>>>>>>>> ability to pass higher order pages so I tweaked thinks and passed
>>>>>>>>> "hints" instead of "pfns".
>>>>>>>> And that is fine. But there isn't really such a big difference with
>>>>>>>> FREE_PAGE_HINT except FREE_PAGE_HINT triggers upon host request and not
>>>>>>>> in response to guest load.
>>>>>>> I disagree, I believe there is a significant difference.
>>>>>> Yes there is, I just don't think it's in the iteration.
>>>>>> The iteration seems to be useful to hinting.
>>>>> I agree that iteration is useful to hinting. The problem is the
>>>>> FREE_PAGE_HINT code isn't really designed to be iterative. It is
>>>>> designed to run with a polling thread on each side and it is meant to
>>>>> be run to completion.
>>>> Absolutely. But that's a bug I think.
>>> I think it is a part of the design. Basically in order to avoid
>>> corrupting memory it cannot return the page to the guest kernel until
>>> it has finished clearing the dirty bits associated with the pages.
>> OK I hope I clarified by that's not supposed to be the case.
> I think you might have missed something. I am pretty certain issues
> are still present.
>
>>>>>>> The
>>>>>>> FREE_PAGE_HINT code was implemented to be more of a streaming
>>>>>>> interface.
>>>>>> It's implemented like this but it does not follow from
>>>>>> the interface. The implementation is a combination of
>>>>>> attempts to minimize # of exits and minimize mm core changes.
>>>>> The problem is the interface doesn't have a good way of indicating
>>>>> that it is done with a block of pages.
>>>>>
>>>>> So what I am probably looking at if I do a sg implementation for my
>>>>> hinting is to provide one large sg block for all 32 of the pages I
>>>>> might be holding.
>>>> Right now if you pass an sg it will try to allocate a buffer
>>>> on demand for you. If this is a problem I could come up
>>>> with a new API that lets caller allocate the buffer.
>>>> Let me know.
>>>>
>>>>> I'm assuming that will still be processed as one
>>>>> contiguous block. With that I can then at least maintain a single
>>>>> response per request.
>>>> Why do you care? Won't a counter of outstanding pages be enough?
>>>> Down the road maybe we could actually try to pipeline
>>>> things a bit. So send 32 pages once you get 16 of these back
>>>> send 16 more. Better for SMP configs and does not hurt
>>>> non-SMP too much. I am not saying we need to do it right away though.
>>> So the big thing is we cannot give the page back to the guest kernel
>>> until we know the processing has been completed. In the case of the
>>> MADV_DONT_NEED call it will zero out the entire page on the next
>>> access. If the guest kernel had already written data by the time we
>>> get to that it would cause a data corruption and kill the whole guest.
>>
>> Exactly but FREE_PAGE_HINT does not cause qemu to call MADV_DONT_NEED.
> No, instead it clears the bit indicating that the page is supposed to
> be migrated. The effect will not be all that different, just delayed
> until the VM is actually migrated.
>
>>>>>>> This is one of the things Linus kept complaining about in
>>>>>>> his comments. This code attempts to pull in ALL of the higher order
>>>>>>> pages, not just a smaller block of them.
>>>>>> It wants to report all higher order pages eventually, yes.
>>>>>> But it's absolutely fine to report a chunk and then wait
>>>>>> for host to process the chunk before reporting more.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> However, interfaces we came up with for this would call
>>>>>> into virtio with a bunch of locks taken.
>>>>>> The solution was to take pages off the free list completely.
>>>>>> That in turn means we can't return them until
>>>>>> we have processed all free memory.
>>>>> I get that. The problem is the interface is designed around run to
>>>>> completion. For example it will sit there in a busy loop waiting for a
>>>>> free buffer because it knows the other side is suppose to be
>>>>> processing the pages already.
>>>> I didn't get this part.
>>> I think the part you may not be getting is that we cannot let the
>>> guest use the page until the hint has been processed. Otherwise we
>>> risk corrupting memory. That is the piece that has me paranoid. If we
>>> end up performing a hint on a page that is use somewhere in the kernel
>>> it will corrupt memory one way or another. That is the thing I have to
>>> avoid at all cost.
>> You have to do it, sure. And that is because you do not
>> assume that hypervisor does it for you. But FREE_PAGE_HINT doesn't,
>> hypervisor takes care of that.
> Sort of. The hypervisor is trying to do dirty page tracking, however
> the FREE_PAGE_HINT interferes with that. That is the problem. If we
> get that out of order then the hypervisor work will be undone and we
> just make a mess of memory.
>
>>> That is why I have to have a way to know exactly which pages have been
>>> processed and which haven't before I return pages to the guest.
>>> Otherwise I am just corrupting memory.
>> Sure. That isn't really hard though.
> Agreed.
>
>>>>>>> Honestly the difference is
>>>>>>> mostly in the hypervisor interface than what is needed for the kernel
>>>>>>> interface, however the design of the hypervisor interface would make
>>>>>>> doing things more incrementally much more difficult.
>>>>>> OK that's interesting. The hypervisor interface is not
>>>>>> documented in the spec yet. Let me take a stub at a writeup now. So:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> - hypervisor requests reporting by modifying command ID
>>>>>>   field in config space, and interrupting guest
>>>>>>
>>>>>> - in response, guest sends the command ID value on a special
>>>>>>   free page hinting VQ,
>>>>>>   followed by any number of buffers. Each buffer is assumed
>>>>>>   to be the address and length of memory that was
>>>>>>   unused *at some point after the time when command ID was sent*.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>   Note that hypervisor takes pains to handle the case
>>>>>>   where memory is actually no longer free by the time
>>>>>>   it gets the memory.
>>>>>>   This allows guest driver to take more liberties
>>>>>>   and free pages without waiting for guest to
>>>>>>   use the buffers.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>   This is also one of the reason we call this a free page hint -
>>>>>>   the guarantee that page is free is a weak one,
>>>>>>   in that sense it's more of a hint than a promise.
>>>>>>   That helps guarantee we don't create OOM out of blue.
>>>> I would like to stress the last paragraph above.
>>> The problem is we don't want to give bad hints. What we do based on
>>> the hint is clear the dirty bit. If we clear it in err when the page
>>> is actually in use it will lead to data corruption after migration.
>> That's true for your patches. I get that.
> No, it should be true for FREE_PAGE_HINT as well. The fact that it
> isn't is a bug as far as I am concerned. If you are doing dirty page
> tracking in the hypervisor you cannot expect it to behave well if the
> guest is providing it with bad data.
>
>>> The idea with the hint is that you are saying the page is currently
>>> not in use, however if you send that hint late and have already freed
>>> the page back you can corrupt memory.
>>
>> That part is I think wrong - assuming "you" means upstream code.
> Yes, I am referring to someone running FREE_PAGE_HINT code. I usually
> try to replace them with "we" to make it clear I am not talking about
> someone personally, it is a bad habit.
>
>>>>>> - guest eventually sends a special buffer signalling to
>>>>>>   host that it's done sending free pages.
>>>>>>   It then stops reporting until command id changes.
>>>>> The pages are not freed back to the guest until the host reports that
>>>>> it is "DONE" via a configuration change. Doing that stops any further
>>>>> progress, and attempting to resume will just restart from the
>>>>> beginning.
>>>> Right but it's not a requirement. Host does not assume this at all.
>>>> It's done like this simply because we can't iterate over pages
>>>> with the existing API.
>>> The problem is nothing about the implementation was designed for
>>> iteration. What I would have to do is likely gut and rewrite the
>>> entire guest side of the FREE_PAGE_HINT code in order to make it work
>>> iteratively.
>>
>> Right. I agree.
>>
>>> As I mentioned it would probably have to look more like a
>>> NIC Rx ring in handling because we would have to have some sort of way
>>> to associate the pages 1:1 to the buffers.
>>>
>>>>> The big piece this design is missing is the incremental notification
>>>>> pages have been processed. The existing code just fills the vq with
>>>>> pages and keeps doing it until it cannot allocate any more pages. We
>>>>> would have to add logic to stop, flush, and resume to the existing
>>>>> framework.
>>>> But not to the hypervisor interface. Hypervisor is fine
>>>> with pages being reused immediately. In fact, even before they
>>>> are processed.
>>> I don't think that is actually the case. If it does that I am pretty
>>> sure it will corrupt memory during migration.
>>>
>>> Take a look at qemu_guest_free_page_hint:
>>> https://github.com/qemu/qemu/blob/master/migration/ram.c#L3342
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure that code is going in and clearing the dirty bitmap
>>> for memory.
>> Yes it does. However the trick is that meanwhile
>> kvm is logging new writes. So the bitmap that
>> is being cleared is the bitmap that was logged before the request
>> was sent to guest.
>>
>>> If we were to allow a page to be allocated and used and
>>> then perform the hint it is going to introduce a race where the page
>>> might be missed for migration and could result in memory corruption.
>> commit c13c4153f76db23cac06a12044bf4dd346764059 has this explanation:
>>
>>     Note: balloon will report pages which were free at the time of this call.
>>     As the reporting happens asynchronously, dirty bit logging must be
>>     enabled before this free_page_start call is made. Guest reporting must be
>>     disabled before the migration dirty bitmap is synchronized.
>>
>> but over multiple iterations this seems to have been dropped
>> from code comments. Wei, would you mind going back
>> and documenting the APIs you used?
>> They seem to be causing confusion ...
> The "Note" is the behavior I am seeing. Specifically there is nothing
> in place to prevent the freed pages from causing corruption if they
> are freed before being hinted. The requirement should be that they
> cannot be freed until after they are hinted that way the dirty bit
> logging will mark the page as dirty if it is accessed AFTER being
> hinted.
>
> If you do not guarantee the hinting has happened first you could end
> up logging the dirty bit before the hint is processed and then clear
> the dirty bit due to the hint. It is pretty straight forward to
> resolve by just not putting the page into the balloon until after the
> hint has been processed.
>
>>>>>> - host can restart the process at any time by
>>>>>>   updating command ID. That will make guest stop
>>>>>>   and start from the beginning.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> - host can also stop the process by specifying a special
>>>>>>   command ID value.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> =========
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Now let's compare to what you have here:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> - At any time after boot, guest walks over free memory and sends
>>>>>>   addresses as buffers to the host
>>>>>>
>>>>>> - Memory reported is then guaranteed to be unused
>>>>>>   until host has used the buffers
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Is above a fair summary?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> So yes there's a difference but the specific bit of chunking is same
>>>>>> imho.
>>>>> The big difference is that I am returning the pages after they are
>>>>> processed, while FREE_PAGE_HINT doesn't and isn't designed to.
>>>> It doesn't but the hypervisor *is* designed to support that.
>>> Not really, it seems like it is more just a side effect of things.
>> I hope the commit log above is enough to convice you we did
>> think about this.
> Sorry, but no. I think the "note" convinced me there is a race
> condition, specifically in the shrinker case. We cannot free the page
> back to host memory until the hint has been processed, otherwise we
> will race with the dirty bit logging.
>
>>> Also as I mentioned before I am also not a huge fan of polling on both
>>> sides as it is just going to burn through CPU. If we are iterative and
>>> polling it is going to end up with us potentially pushing one CPU at
>>> 100%, and if the one CPU doing the polling cannot keep up with the
>>> page updates coming from the other CPUs we would be stuck in that
>>> state for a while. I would have preferred to see something where the
>>> CPU would at least allow other tasks to occur while it is waiting for
>>> buffers to be returned by the host.
>> You lost me here. What does polling have to do with it?
> This is just another issue I found. Specifically busy polling while
> waiting on the host to process the hints. I'm not a fan of it and was
> just pointing it out.
>
>>>>> The
>>>>> problem is the interface doesn't allow for a good way to identify that
>>>>> any given block of pages has been processed and can be returned.
>>>> And that's because FREE_PAGE_HINT does not care.
>>>> It can return any page at any point even before hypervisor
>>>> saw it.
>>> I disagree, see my comment above.
>> OK let's see if above is enough to convice you. Or maybe  we
>> have a bug when shrinker is invoked :) But I don't think so.
> I'm pretty sure there is a bug.
>
>>>>> Instead pages go in, but they don't come out until the configuration
>>>>> is changed and "DONE" is reported. The act of reporting "DONE" will
>>>>> reset things and start them all over which kind of defeats the point.
>>>> Right.
>>>>
>>>> But if you consider how we are using the shrinker you will
>>>> see that it's kind of broken.
>>>> For example not keeping track of allocated
>>>> pages means the count we return is broken
>>>> while reporting is active.
>>>>
>>>> I looked at fixing it but really if we can just
>>>> stop allocating memory that would be way cleaner.
>>> Agreed. If we hit an OOM we should probably just stop the free page
>>> hinting and treat that as the equivalent to an allocation failure.
>> And fix the shrinker count to include the pages in the vq. Yea.
> I don't know if we really want to touch the pages in the VQ. I would
> say that we should leave them alone.
>
>>> As-is I think this also has the potential for corrupting memory since
>>> it will likely be returning the most recent pages added to the balloon
>>> so the pages are likely still on the processing queue.
>> That part is fine I think because of the above.
>>
>>>> For example we allocate pages until shrinker kicks in.
>>>> Fair enough but in fact many it would be better to
>>>> do the reverse: trigger shrinker and then send as many
>>>> free pages as we can to host.
>>> I'm not sure I understand this last part.
>> Oh basically what I am saying is this: one of the reasons to use page
>> hinting is when host is short on memory.  In that case, why don't we use
>> shrinker to ask kernel drivers to free up memory? Any memory freed could
>> then be reported to host.
> Didn't the balloon driver already have a feature like that where it
> could start shrinking memory if the host was under memory pressure?
If you are referring to auto-ballooning (I don't think it is merged). It
has its own set of disadvantages such as it could easily lead to OOM,
memory corruption and so on.
VIRTIO_BALLOON_F_FREE_PAGE_HINT does address some of those issues.
However, it still requires external control to initiate/stop the memory
transaction.
>  If
> so how would adding another one add much value.
> The idea here is if the memory is free we just mark it as such. As
> long as we can do so with no noticeable overhead on the guest or host
> why not just do it?
+1. This is the advantage which both the hinting solutions are trying to
introduce.
-- 
Thanks
Nitesh


  reply index

Thread overview: 59+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2019-06-19 22:32 [PATCH v1 0/6] mm / virtio: Provide support for paravirtual waste page treatment Alexander Duyck
2019-06-19 22:33 ` [PATCH v1 1/6] mm: Adjust shuffle code to allow for future coalescing Alexander Duyck
2019-06-25  7:55   ` David Hildenbrand
2019-06-28 19:49     ` Alexander Duyck
2019-06-25 18:25   ` Dave Hansen
2019-06-25 18:26   ` Dave Hansen
2019-06-19 22:33 ` [PATCH v1 2/6] mm: Move set/get_pcppage_migratetype to mmzone.h Alexander Duyck
2019-06-25 18:28   ` Dave Hansen
2019-06-28 19:55     ` Alexander Duyck
2019-06-19 22:33 ` [PATCH v1 3/6] mm: Use zone and order instead of free area in free_list manipulators Alexander Duyck
2019-06-25 18:36   ` Dave Hansen
2019-06-19 22:33 ` [PATCH v1 4/6] mm: Introduce "aerated" pages Alexander Duyck
2019-06-25 19:45   ` Dave Hansen
2019-07-08 17:32     ` Alexander Duyck
2019-06-19 22:33 ` [PATCH v1 5/6] mm: Add logic for separating "aerated" pages from "raw" pages Alexander Duyck
2019-06-25 20:24   ` Dave Hansen
2019-07-08 19:02     ` Alexander Duyck
2019-07-08 19:36       ` Dave Hansen
2019-07-08 22:02         ` Alexander Duyck
2019-06-19 22:33 ` [PATCH v1 6/6] virtio-balloon: Add support for aerating memory via hinting Alexander Duyck
2019-07-16  9:55   ` Michael S. Tsirkin
2019-07-16 14:00     ` Dave Hansen
2019-07-16 14:12       ` David Hildenbrand
2019-07-16 14:17         ` David Hildenbrand
2019-07-16 15:04           ` Michael S. Tsirkin
2019-07-16 14:41         ` Dave Hansen
2019-07-16 15:01           ` Wang, Wei W
2019-07-16 16:12             ` Michael S. Tsirkin
2019-07-16 15:02           ` David Hildenbrand
2019-07-16 15:37     ` Alexander Duyck
2019-07-16 16:07       ` Michael S. Tsirkin
2019-07-16 16:54         ` Alexander Duyck
2019-07-16 17:41           ` Michael S. Tsirkin
2019-07-16 21:06             ` Alexander Duyck
2019-07-17 10:28               ` Michael S. Tsirkin
2019-07-17 16:43                 ` Alexander Duyck
2019-07-18  5:13                   ` Michael S. Tsirkin
2019-07-18 15:34                     ` Alexander Duyck
2019-07-18 16:03                       ` Nitesh Narayan Lal [this message]
2019-07-18 20:27                         ` Michael S. Tsirkin
2019-07-18 16:07                       ` Michael S. Tsirkin
2019-07-18 20:29                         ` Alexander Duyck
2019-07-18 20:37                           ` Michael S. Tsirkin
2019-07-18 20:54                             ` Alexander Duyck
2019-07-18 20:24                       ` Michael S. Tsirkin
2019-07-18 20:34                         ` Alexander Duyck
2019-07-18 20:48                           ` Michael S. Tsirkin
2019-07-18 21:09                             ` Alexander Duyck
2019-06-19 22:37 ` [PATCH v1 QEMU] QEMU: Provide a interface for hinting based off of the balloon infrastructure Alexander Duyck
2019-06-25  7:42 ` [PATCH v1 0/6] mm / virtio: Provide support for paravirtual waste page treatment David Hildenbrand
2019-06-25 14:10   ` Dave Hansen
2019-06-25 17:00     ` Alexander Duyck
2019-06-25 18:12       ` David Hildenbrand
2019-06-25 18:22       ` Dave Hansen
2019-07-15  9:41         ` David Hildenbrand
2019-07-15 14:57           ` Alexander Duyck
2019-06-25 16:09   ` Alexander Duyck
2019-06-26  9:01   ` Christophe de Dinechin
2019-06-26  9:12     ` David Hildenbrand

Reply instructions:

You may reply publically to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=ef01c4af-b132-4bed-b1df-0338512caacd@redhat.com \
    --to=nitesh@redhat.com \
    --cc=aarcange@redhat.com \
    --cc=akpm@linux-foundation.org \
    --cc=alexander.duyck@gmail.com \
    --cc=alexander.h.duyck@linux.intel.com \
    --cc=dan.j.williams@intel.com \
    --cc=dave.hansen@intel.com \
    --cc=david@redhat.com \
    --cc=konrad.wilk@oracle.com \
    --cc=kvm@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=lcapitulino@redhat.com \
    --cc=linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org \
    --cc=linux-mm@kvack.org \
    --cc=mst@redhat.com \
    --cc=pagupta@redhat.com \
    --cc=pbonzini@redhat.com \
    --cc=riel@surriel.com \
    --cc=wei.w.wang@intel.com \
    --cc=yang.zhang.wz@gmail.com \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link

KVM Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/0 kvm/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 kvm kvm/ https://lore.kernel.org/kvm \
		kvm@vger.kernel.org kvm@archiver.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index kvm

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.kvm


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox