kvmarm.lists.cs.columbia.edu archive mirror
* [RFC] Use SMMU HTTU for DMA dirty page tracking
@ 2020-05-19  9:42 Xiang Zheng
From: Xiang Zheng @ 2020-05-19  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel, kvmarm
  Cc: jean-philippe, maz, wangzhou1, prime.zeng, Will Deacon

Hi all,

Is there any plan for enabling SMMU HTTU?

I have seen the patch locates in the SVA series patch, which adds
support for HTTU:
    https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg798694.html

HTTU reduces the number of access faults on SMMU fault queue
(permission faults also benifit from it).

Besides reducing the faults, HTTU also helps to track dirty pages for
device DMA. Is it feasible to utilize HTTU to get dirty pages on device
DMA during VFIO live migration?

If SMMU can track dirty pages, devices are not required to implement
additional dirty pages tracking to support VFIO live migration.

Xiang

* Re: [RFC] Use SMMU HTTU for DMA dirty page tracking
@ 2020-05-22 17:14 ` Jean-Philippe Brucker
From: Jean-Philippe Brucker @ 2020-05-22 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiang Zheng
  Cc: maz, iommu, wangzhou1, prime.zeng, Will Deacon, kvmarm, linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 05:42:55PM +0800, Xiang Zheng wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any plan for enabling SMMU HTTU?

Not outside of SVA, as far as I know.

> I have seen the patch locates in the SVA series patch, which adds
> support for HTTU:
>     https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg798694.html
>
> HTTU reduces the number of access faults on SMMU fault queue
> (permission faults also benifit from it).
>
> Besides reducing the faults, HTTU also helps to track dirty pages for
> device DMA. Is it feasible to utilize HTTU to get dirty pages on device
> DMA during VFIO live migration?

As you know there is a VFIO interface for this under discussion:
https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/1589781397-28368-1-git-send-email-kwankhede@nvidia.com/
It doesn't implement an internal API to communicate with the IOMMU driver
about dirty pages.

> If SMMU can track dirty pages, devices are not required to implement
> additional dirty pages tracking to support VFIO live migration.

It seems feasible, though tracking it in the device might be more
efficient. I might have misunderstood but I think for live migration of
the Intel NIC they trap guest accesses to the device and introspect its
state to figure out which pages it is accessing.

With HTTU I suppose (without much knowledge about live migration) that
you'd need several new interfaces to the IOMMU drivers:

* A way for VFIO to query HTTU support in the SMMU. There are some
  discussions about communicating more IOMMU capabilities through VFIO but
  no implementation yet. When HTTU isn't supported the DIRTY_PAGES bitmap
  would report all pages as they do now.

* VFIO_IOMMU_DIRTY_PAGES_FLAG_START/STOP would clear the dirty bit
  for all VFIO mappings (which is going to take some time). There is a
  walker in io-pgtable for iova_to_phys() which could be extended. I
  suppose it's also possible to atomically switch the HA and HD bits in
  context descriptors.

* VFIO_IOMMU_DIRTY_PAGES_FLAG_GET_BITMAP would query the dirty bit for all
  VFIO mappings.

Thanks,
Jean

* Re: [RFC] Use SMMU HTTU for DMA dirty page tracking
@ 2020-05-25 11:34   ` Xiang Zheng
From: Xiang Zheng @ 2020-05-25 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Philippe Brucker
  Cc: alex.williamson, Yan Zhao, maz, iommu, Kirti Wankhede, wangzhou1,
	prime.zeng, Will Deacon, kvmarm, linux-arm-kernel

[+cc Kirti, Yan, Alex]

On 2020/5/23 1:14, Jean-Philippe Brucker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 05:42:55PM +0800, Xiang Zheng wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there any plan for enabling SMMU HTTU?
>
> Not outside of SVA, as far as I know.
>

>> I have seen the patch locates in the SVA series patch, which adds
>> support for HTTU:
>>     https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg798694.html
>>
>> HTTU reduces the number of access faults on SMMU fault queue
>> (permission faults also benifit from it).
>>
>> Besides reducing the faults, HTTU also helps to track dirty pages for
>> device DMA. Is it feasible to utilize HTTU to get dirty pages on device
>> DMA during VFIO live migration?
>
> As you know there is a VFIO interface for this under discussion:
> https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/1589781397-28368-1-git-send-email-kwankhede@nvidia.com/
> It doesn't implement an internal API to communicate with the IOMMU driver
> about dirty pages.

>> If SMMU can track dirty pages, devices are not required to implement
>> additional dirty pages tracking to support VFIO live migration.
>
> It seems feasible, though tracking it in the device might be more
> efficient. I might have misunderstood but I think for live migration of
> the Intel NIC they trap guest accesses to the device and introspect its
> state to figure out which pages it is accessing.
>
> With HTTU I suppose (without much knowledge about live migration) that
> you'd need several new interfaces to the IOMMU drivers:
>
> * A way for VFIO to query HTTU support in the SMMU. There are some
>   discussions about communicating more IOMMU capabilities through VFIO but
>   no implementation yet. When HTTU isn't supported the DIRTY_PAGES bitmap
>   would report all pages as they do now.
>
> * VFIO_IOMMU_DIRTY_PAGES_FLAG_START/STOP would clear the dirty bit
>   for all VFIO mappings (which is going to take some time). There is a
>   walker in io-pgtable for iova_to_phys() which could be extended. I
>   suppose it's also possible to atomically switch the HA and HD bits in
>   context descriptors.

Maybe we need not switch HA and HD bits, just turn on them all the time?

> * VFIO_IOMMU_DIRTY_PAGES_FLAG_GET_BITMAP would query the dirty bit for all
>   VFIO mappings.

I think we need to consider the case of IOMMU dirty pages logging. We want
to test Kirti's VFIO migration patches combined with SMMU HTTU, any suggestions?

@ 2020-05-27  3:27     ` Tian, Kevin
From: Tian, Kevin @ 2020-05-27  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiang Zheng, Jean-Philippe Brucker
	linux-arm-kernel, prime.zeng, Will Deacon, kvmarm

We plan to add such API later, e.g. to utilize A/D bit in VT-d 2nd-level
page tables (Rev 3.0).

> >> If SMMU can track dirty pages, devices are not required to implement
> >> additional dirty pages tracking to support VFIO live migration.
> >
> > It seems feasible, though tracking it in the device might be more
> > efficient. I might have misunderstood but I think for live migration of
> > the Intel NIC they trap guest accesses to the device and introspect its
> > state to figure out which pages it is accessing.

Does HTTU implement A/D-like mechanism in SMMU page tables, or just
report dirty pages in a log buffer? Either way tracking dirty pages in IOMMU
side is generic thus doesn't require device-specific tweak like in Intel NIC.

Thanks
kevin

@ 2020-05-27  6:45       ` Xiang Zheng
From: Xiang Zheng @ 2020-05-27  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tian, Kevin, Jean-Philippe Brucker
  Cc: Zhao, Yan Y, maz, iommu, Kirti Wankhede, alex.williamson,

On 2020/5/27 11:27, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

Thank you, Kevin.

When will you send this series patches? Maybe(Hope) we can also support
hardware-based dirty pages tracking via common APIs based on your patches. :)

>>> It seems feasible, though tracking it in the device might be more
>>> efficient. I might have misunderstood but I think for live migration of
>>> the Intel NIC they trap guest accesses to the device and introspect its
>>> state to figure out which pages it is accessing.
>
> Does HTTU implement A/D-like mechanism in SMMU page tables, or just
> report dirty pages in a log buffer? Either way tracking dirty pages in IOMMU
> side is generic thus doesn't require device-specific tweak like in Intel NIC.

Currently HTTU just implement A/D-like mechanism in SMMU page tables. We certainly
expect SMMU can also implement PML-like feature so that we can avoid walking the
whole page table to get the dirty pages.

By the way, I'm not sure whether HTTU or SLAD can help for mediated deivce.

@ 2020-05-27  6:46     ` Zengtao (B)
From: Zengtao (B) @ 2020-05-27  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhengxiang (A), Jean-Philippe Brucker
  Cc: alex.williamson, Yan Zhao, maz, iommu, Kirti Wankhede,
	Wangzhou (B),
	Will Deacon, kvmarm, linux-arm-kernel

I think we need START/STOP, start is called when migration is started and STOP
called when migration finished.

I think you mean that during the migration(between START and STOP), HA and HD
functionality is always turned on.

> > * VFIO_IOMMU_DIRTY_PAGES_FLAG_GET_BITMAP would query the
> dirty bit for all
> >   VFIO mappings.

We need a clear during the query which mean we have to reset the dirty status
after a query.

> I think we need to consider the case of IOMMU dirty pages logging. We
> want
> to test Kirti's VFIO migration patches combined with SMMU HTTU, any
> suggestions?

@kirti @yan @alex
As we know, you have worked on this feature for a long time, and it seems that
 everything is going very well now, thanks very much for your VFIO migration
framework, it really helps a lot, and we want to start with SMMU HTTU enabled
 based on your jobs, it's kind of hardware dirty page tracking, and expected to bring us
 better performance, any suggestions?

Thank you.
Zengtao

* RE: [RFC] Use SMMU HTTU for DMA dirty page tracking
@ 2020-05-27  8:40         ` Tian, Kevin
From: Tian, Kevin @ 2020-05-27  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiang Zheng, Jean-Philippe Brucker
	linux-arm-kernel, prime.zeng, Will Deacon, kvmarm

Yan is working with Kirti on basic live migration support now. After that
part is done, we will start working on A/D bit support. Yes, common APIs
are definitely the goal here.

> > Does HTTU implement A/D-like mechanism in SMMU page tables, or just
> > report dirty pages in a log buffer? Either way tracking dirty pages in IOMMU
> > side is generic thus doesn't require device-specific tweak like in Intel NIC.
> >

> Currently HTTU just implement A/D-like mechanism in SMMU page tables.
> We certainly
> expect SMMU can also implement PML-like feature so that we can avoid
> walking the
> whole page table to get the dirty pages.

Is there a link to HTTU introduction?

> By the way, I'm not sure whether HTTU or SLAD can help for mediated deivce.

A/D bit applies to mediated device on VT-d.

Thanks
Kevin

* Re: [RFC] Use SMMU HTTU for DMA dirty page tracking
@ 2020-05-27  9:14           ` Jean-Philippe Brucker
From: Jean-Philippe Brucker @ 2020-05-27  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tian, Kevin
  Cc: Zhao, Yan Y, maz, alex.williamson, iommu, linux-arm-kernel,
	prime.zeng, Kirti Wankhede, Will Deacon, kvmarm

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 08:40:47AM +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

There is no reporting of dirty pages in log buffer. It might be possible
to do software logging based on PRI or Stall, but that requires special
support in the endpoint as well as the SMMU.

> Is there a link to HTTU introduction?

I don't know any gentle introduction, but there are sections D5.4.11
"Hardware management of the Access flag and dirty state" in the ARM
Architecture Reference Manual (DDI0487E), and section 3.13 "Translation
table entries and Access/Dirty flags" in the SMMU specification
(IHI0070C). HTTU stands for "Hardware Translation Table Update".

In short, when HTTU is enabled, the SMMU translation performs an atomic
read-modify-write on the leaf translation table descriptor, setting some
bits depending on the type of memory access. This can be enabled
independently on both stage-1 and stage-2 tables (equivalent to your 1st
and 2nd page tables levels, I think).

Thanks,
Jean

* Re: [RFC] Use SMMU HTTU for DMA dirty page tracking
@ 2021-02-05  3:30             ` Keqian Zhu
From: Keqian Zhu @ 2021-02-05  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Philippe Brucker, Tian, Kevin
  Cc: Zhao, Yan Y, maz, iommu, Kirti Wankhede, alex.williamson,
	prime.zeng, Will Deacon, kvmarm, linux-arm-kernel

Hi Jean and Kevin,

FYI, I have send out the SMMUv3 HTTU support for DMA dirty tracking[1] a week ago.

Thanks,
Keqian

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iommu/20210128151742.18840-1-zhukeqian1@huawei.com/

@ 2021-02-05  5:21               ` Tian, Kevin
From: Tian, Kevin @ 2021-02-05  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keqian Zhu, Jean-Philippe Brucker
  Cc: Sun, Yi Y, Zhao, Yan Y, maz, iommu, Kirti Wankhede,
	alex.williamson, prime.zeng, Will Deacon, kvmarm,
	linux-arm-kernel

Thanks for the pointer. We will take a look.