kvmarm.lists.cs.columbia.edu archive mirror
* [Question] About scaling factor of Enhanced Counter Virtualization
@ 2020-07-14  2:20 zhukeqian
From: zhukeqian @ 2020-07-14  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel, kvmarm, Marc Zyngier, James Morse,
	Catalin Marinas, Will Deacon, Suzuki K, Poulose
  Cc: yebiaoxiang

Hi all,

We are studying Enhanced Counter Virtualization (introduced by ARMv8.6 extension), and here is a question
raised by Biaoxiang Ye <yebiaoxiang@huawei.com>:

Described in the ARMv8.6 Extension Specification:
Note: the scaling factor CNTSCALE is designed as a 2.62 bit fixed point number, so permitting a scaling up by
(nearly) a factor 4. The scaling factor CNTISCALE is signed as an 8.56 number for the scaling of the values
written into the timers for comparison with the actual count. This implies that the greatest scaling down of the
counter supported in (nearly) a factor of *512*.

We think the number "512" should be "256" (2^8), or do we miss something?

Thanks,
Keqian