kvmarm.lists.cs.columbia.edu archive mirror
* [Question] About scaling factor of Enhanced Counter Virtualization
@ 2020-07-14  2:20 zhukeqian
From: zhukeqian @ 2020-07-14  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel, kvmarm, Marc Zyngier, James Morse,
	Catalin Marinas, Will Deacon, Suzuki K, Poulose
  Cc: yebiaoxiang

Hi all,

We are studying Enhanced Counter Virtualization (introduced by ARMv8.6 extension), and here is a question
raised by Biaoxiang Ye <yebiaoxiang@huawei.com>:

Described in the ARMv8.6 Extension Specification:
Note: the scaling factor CNTSCALE is designed as a 2.62 bit fixed point number, so permitting a scaling up by
(nearly) a factor 4. The scaling factor CNTISCALE is signed as an 8.56 number for the scaling of the values
written into the timers for comparison with the actual count. This implies that the greatest scaling down of the
counter supported in (nearly) a factor of *512*.

We think the number "512" should be "256" (2^8), or do we miss something?

Thanks,
Keqian

* Re: [Question] About scaling factor of Enhanced Counter Virtualization
@ 2020-07-14 11:34 ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2020-07-14 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhukeqian
  Cc: Catalin Marinas, yebiaoxiang, Will Deacon, kvmarm, linux-arm-kernel

Hi Keqian,

On 2020-07-14 03:20, zhukeqian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are studying Enhanced Counter Virtualization (introduced by ARMv8.6
> extension), and here is a question
> raised by Biaoxiang Ye <yebiaoxiang@huawei.com>:
>
> Described in the ARMv8.6 Extension Specification:
> Note: the scaling factor CNTSCALE is designed as a 2.62 bit fixed
> point number, so permitting a scaling up by
> (nearly) a factor 4. The scaling factor CNTISCALE is signed as an 8.56
> number for the scaling of the values
> written into the timers for comparison with the actual count. This
> implies that the greatest scaling down of the
> counter supported in (nearly) a factor of *512*.
>
> We think the number "512" should be "256" (2^8), or do we miss
> something?

This register doesn't seem to be described in ARM DDI 0487F.b,
which is the official documentation and does contain the ARMv8.6
material, including ARMv8.6-ECV.

Either you are looking at confidential information (and nobody
can answer you in public), or obsolete information (and nobody
knows what this is about).

In any case, this is most probably a question for ARM's support
team, and not the kernel mailing lists.

Thanks,

         M.

* Re: [Question] About scaling factor of Enhanced Counter Virtualization
@ 2020-07-14 12:15   ` zhukeqian
From: zhukeqian @ 2020-07-14 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Zyngier
  Cc: Catalin Marinas, yebiaoxiang, Will Deacon, kvmarm, linux-arm-kernel

Hi Marc,

On 2020/7/14 19:34, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> Hi Keqian,
>
> On 2020-07-14 03:20, zhukeqian wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We are studying Enhanced Counter Virtualization (introduced by ARMv8.6
>> extension), and here is a question
>> raised by Biaoxiang Ye <yebiaoxiang@huawei.com>:
>>
>> Described in the ARMv8.6 Extension Specification:
>> Note: the scaling factor CNTSCALE is designed as a 2.62 bit fixed
>> point number, so permitting a scaling up by
>> (nearly) a factor 4. The scaling factor CNTISCALE is signed as an 8.56
>> number for the scaling of the values
>> written into the timers for comparison with the actual count. This
>> implies that the greatest scaling down of the
>> counter supported in (nearly) a factor of *512*.
>>
>> We think the number "512" should be "256" (2^8), or do we miss something?
>
> This register doesn't seem to be described in ARM DDI 0487F.b,
> which is the official documentation and does contain the ARMv8.6
> material, including ARMv8.6-ECV.
>
> Either you are looking at confidential information (and nobody
> can answer you in public), or obsolete information (and nobody
> knows what this is about).

Well, it's alpha release version :( . Many thanks!

Thanks,
Keqian

@ 2020-07-14 12:23     ` Marc Zyngier
From: Marc Zyngier @ 2020-07-14 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhukeqian
  Cc: Catalin Marinas, yebiaoxiang, Will Deacon, kvmarm, linux-arm-kernel

On 2020-07-14 13:15, zhukeqian wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> On 2020/7/14 19:34, Marc Zyngier wrote:
>> Hi Keqian,
>>
>> On 2020-07-14 03:20, zhukeqian wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We are studying Enhanced Counter Virtualization (introduced by
>>> ARMv8.6
>>> extension), and here is a question
>>> raised by Biaoxiang Ye <yebiaoxiang@huawei.com>:
>>>
>>> Described in the ARMv8.6 Extension Specification:
>>> Note: the scaling factor CNTSCALE is designed as a 2.62 bit fixed
>>> point number, so permitting a scaling up by
>>> (nearly) a factor 4. The scaling factor CNTISCALE is signed as an
>>> 8.56
>>> number for the scaling of the values
>>> written into the timers for comparison with the actual count. This
>>> implies that the greatest scaling down of the
>>> counter supported in (nearly) a factor of *512*.
>>>
>>> We think the number "512" should be "256" (2^8), or do we miss
>>> something?
>>
>> This register doesn't seem to be described in ARM DDI 0487F.b,
>> which is the official documentation and does contain the ARMv8.6
>> material, including ARMv8.6-ECV.
>>
>> Either you are looking at confidential information (and nobody
>> can answer you in public), or obsolete information (and nobody
>> knows what this is about).
>>
> Well, it's alpha release version :( . Many thanks!

Wow. I suggest you discard this document, as it is obsolete.
ARMv8.6 is a released version of the architecture, and
everything should be in the ARM ARM.

         M.

* Re: [Question] About scaling factor of Enhanced Counter Virtualization
@ 2020-07-14 13:22       ` zhukeqian
From: zhukeqian @ 2020-07-14 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Zyngier
  Cc: Catalin Marinas, yebiaoxiang, Will Deacon, kvmarm, linux-arm-kernel

On 2020/7/14 20:23, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> On 2020-07-14 13:15, zhukeqian wrote:
>> Hi Marc,
>>
>> On 2020/7/14 19:34, Marc Zyngier wrote:
>>> Hi Keqian,

>>> This register doesn't seem to be described in ARM DDI 0487F.b,
>>> which is the official documentation and does contain the ARMv8.6
>>> material, including ARMv8.6-ECV.
>>>
>>> Either you are looking at confidential information (and nobody
>>> can answer you in public), or obsolete information (and nobody
>>> knows what this is about).
>>>
>> Well, it's alpha release version :( . Many thanks!
>
> Wow. I suggest you discard this document, as it is obsolete.
> ARMv8.6 is a released version of the architecture, and
> everything should be in the ARM ARM.
OK, there are many difference :) .

Thanks,
Keqian