linux-acpi.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [5.12 regression] DSDT overriding from initrd no longer works
@ 2021-04-12 17:38 Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2021-04-12 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: linux-acpi

Hi Rafael,

Sorry about the timing of reporting this regression.

I just noticed that overriding the DSDT (*) from the initrd will not work in 5.12,
this is caused by:

commit 1a1c130ab757 ("ACPI: tables: x86: Reserve memory occupied by ACPI tables")

This makes the initial acpi_locate_initial_tables() call happen earlier
then before, but the acpi_table_upgrade) call in arch/x86/kernel/setup.c is
not moved up, so the tables in the initrd are now only parsed and saved
after the initial ACPI table scanning has already been done.

I guess fixing this might be as easy as moving the acpi_table_upgrade) call
higher in arch/x86/kernel/setup.c but I'm not sure if that is save to do.

I've several devices with ACPI tables which are so broken that they need
an override. I've reverted the commit from my personal tree for now which
avoids the regression.

Regards,

Hans