Linux-ACPI Archive on lore.kernel.org
* Question about ACPI_THERMAL_HID of thermal
@ 2020-05-19 10:40 shenyang (M)
From: shenyang (M) @ 2020-05-19 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-acpi

Hi,

Sorry for disturbing you.
I want to use the driver thermal.ko. But here I got a question:
the ACPI_THERMAL_HID does not comply with ACPI spec. So I want to know
if any device is using this driver. And if no one is using this driver,
can I modify this HID to comply with ACPI specifications?

Thanks,
Yang

* Re: Question about ACPI_THERMAL_HID of thermal
@ 2020-05-19 11:07 ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2020-05-19 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shenyang (M); +Cc: ACPI Devel Maling List

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 12:40 PM shenyang (M) <shenyang39@huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for disturbing you.

No worries.

> I want to use the driver thermal.ko. But here I got a question:
> the ACPI_THERMAL_HID does not comply with ACPI spec. So I want to know
> if any device is using this driver.

Yes.

ACPI_THERMAL_HID is automatically given to ACPI objects of the
ACPI_TYPE_THERMAL type that represent thermal zones.

> And if no one is using this driver,
> can I modify this HID to comply with ACPI specifications?

This artificial device ID is used internally by the kernel and there's
no need for you to manipulate it.

In order for the ACPI thermal driver to be used, at least one thermal
zone needs to be declared in the ACPI namespace.

Thanks!