linux-acpi.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* ACPI errors on Linux distribution ISO boot up
@ 2021-09-06 11:20 EpicLemon99
From: EpicLemon99 @ 2021-09-06 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-acpi

I have problems trying to use Linux distributions on my new machine, a HP Pavilion TG01-2856no. The CPU it has was released Q1 2021.

My problem is that whenever I boot a Linux distribution ISO, it appears that my CPU stalls on tasks, and I get this error:
 ACPI Error: Needed [Integer/String/Buffer] found [Device] 00000000d0fa616a (20200925/exresop-388)
 ACPI Error: AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE, While resolving operands for [OpcodeName unavailable] (20200925/dswexec-431)

The most recent kernel version this has happened on is 5.13.13, with Arch Linux.

I could get journalctl logs from NixOS: https://ibb.co/album/9wMM0p

The fact that I have the same problem on multiple distributions has led me to believe that it's something to do with the kernel or ACPI, but I could be wrong.

I have set Secure Boot off in my BIOS settings and the SATA emulation is set to AHCI. I have tried with RAID.

I have tried the following boot options: nomodeset, noacpi, noapic, acpi=off.

The only distributions that I have managed to get working are Devuan and Gentoo.

* Re: ACPI errors on Linux distribution ISO boot up
@ 2021-09-06 12:06 ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2021-09-06 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EpicLemon99; +Cc: linux-acpi

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 1:20 PM EpicLemon99 <EpicLemon99@protonmail.com> wrote:

> I have problems trying to use Linux distributions on my new machine, a HP Pavilion TG01-2856no. The CPU it has was released Q1 2021.
>
> My problem is that whenever I boot a Linux distribution ISO, it appears that my CPU stalls on tasks, and I get this error:
>  ACPI Error: Needed [Integer/String/Buffer] found [Device] 00000000d0fa616a (20200925/exresop-388)
>  ACPI Error: AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE, While resolving operands for [OpcodeName unavailable] (20200925/dswexec-431)

This means that the AML byte code interpreter in the kernel has
problems with the contents of the ACPI tables on the system.

> The most recent kernel version this has happened on is 5.13.13, with Arch Linux.

This should be recent enough.

> I could get journalctl logs from NixOS: https://ibb.co/album/9wMM0p
>
> The fact that I have the same problem on multiple distributions has led me to believe that it's something to do with the kernel or ACPI, but I could be wrong.
>
> I have set Secure Boot off in my BIOS settings and the SATA emulation is set to AHCI. I have tried with RAID.
>
> I have tried the following boot options: nomodeset, noacpi, noapic, acpi=off.

And what happened with acpi=off?

> The only distributions that I have managed to get working are Devuan and Gentoo.

Well, that doesn't help much as long as you don't know what additional
kernel patches they carry.