linux-acpi.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>
To: Mark Pearson <markpearson@lenovo.com>,
	"Limonciello, Mario" <Mario.Limonciello@amd.com>
Cc: "rafael@kernel.org" <rafael@kernel.org>,
	"linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org" <linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org>,
	"platform-driver-x86@vger.kernel.org"
	<platform-driver-x86@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [External] Re: [RFC] ACPI: platform-profile: support for AC vs DC modes
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 17:56:09 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

On 3/14/22 16:32, Mark Pearson wrote:

> On 2022-03-14 11:31, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 3/14/22 15:43, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Hi Mario,

>>> Ah, I already got that feeling from the rest of the thread, so I reread
>>> Mark's RFC again before posting my reply today and the RFC looked like
>>> the same 3 profiles were being set and the only functionality added
>>> was auto profile switching when changing between AC/battery.
>>>
>>> Thank you for clarifying this. Having 6 different stories
>>> indeed is a very different story.

>>> I fully agree and since you introduce the concept of being on AC/battery to the
>>> drivers/acpi/platform_profile.c cpde, please change the
>>> profile_set and profile_get function prototypes in struct platform_profile_handler
>>> to also take a "bool on_battery" extra argument and use that in the thinkpad
>>> driver to select either the ac or the battery tuned low/balanced/performance
>>> profile.
>>>
>>> And please also include an update to Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-platform_profile
>>> in the next RFC.
>>>
>>> Also notice how I've tried to consistently use AC/battery in my last reply,
>>> DC really is not a good term for "on battery". AC also is sort of dubious
>>> for "connected to an external power-supply" but its use for that is sorta
>>> common and it is nice and short.
>>
>> One last request for the v2 RFC, please also Cc Bastien Nocera, so that
>> he can take a look at the proposed uapi changes from the userspace side
>> of things.
>>
> Ack - will do.

So I've been thinking a bit more about this while I was outside for some
fresh air.

First of all let me say that I do agree that the having in essence 6
different profiles thing needs a kernel solution.

What I'm not entirely sure about is if this needs to be something
generic, with a new userspace-API as you proposed in the v1 RFC,
or if it would be better to just solve this in thinkpad_acpi.c .

Now that I've a better grasp of the problem, I'll start a new email
thread on this tomorrow with all the various take-holders in the Cc
to try and answer that question.

It probably is a good idea to wait with doing a v2 of the RFC until
we've had that discussion...

Regards,

Hans