Linus Torvalds wrote on Wed, Jan 16, 2019: > Anybody willing to test the above patch instead? And replace the > > || capable(CAP_SYS_ADMIN) > > check with something like > > || inode_permission(inode, MAY_WRITE) == 0 > > instead? > > (This is obviously after you've reverted the "only check mmap > residency" patch..) That seems to work on an x86_64 vm. I've tested with the attached patch: - root can lookup pages on any file I tried; - user can lookup page on file it owns, assuming it can write to it (e.g. it won't work on a 0400 file you own) - user cannot lookup pages on e.g. /lib64/libc-2.28.so There is a difference with your previous patch though, that used to list no page in core when it didn't know; this patch lists pages as in core when it refuses to tell. I don't think that's very important, though. If anything, the 0400 user-owner file might be a problem in some edge case (e.g. if you're preloading git directories, many objects are 0444); should we *also* check ownership?... -- Dominique