On 2018-10-09, Andy Lutomirski wrote: > On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 11:53 PM Aleksa Sarai wrote: > > * AT_NO_PROCLINK: Disallows ->get_link "symlink" jumping. This is a very > > specific restriction, and it exists because /proc/$pid/fd/... > > "symlinks" allow for access outside nd->root and pose risk to > > container runtimes that don't want to be tricked into accessing a host > > path (but do want to allow no-funny-business symlink resolution). > > Can you elaborate on the use case? > > If I'm set up a container namespace and walk it for real (through the > outside /proc/PID/root or otherwise starting from an fd that points > into that namespace), and I walk through that namespace's /proc, I'm > going to see the same thing that the processes in the namespace would > see. So what's the issue? > > Similarly, if I somehow manage to walk into the outside /proc, then > I've pretty much lost regardless of the links. Well, there's a couple of reasons: * The original AT_NO_JUMPS patchset similarly disabled "proclinks" but it was sort of all contained within AT_NO_JUMPS. In order to have a precise 1:1 feature mapping we need this in *some* form (and in v1 the only way to get it was to add a separate flag). According to the original O_BENEATH changelog, both you and Al pushed for this to be part of O_BENEATH. :P *However* in v2 of the patchset, proclinks are also disabled by AT_BENEATH (because it's not really safe or consistent to allow them at the moment -- we'd need to add __d_path checks when jumping through them as well if we wanted them to be consistent) -- so the need for this flag (purely for AT_NO_JUMPS compatibility) is reduced. * There were cases in the past where races caused (temporarily) something like /proc/self/exe (or a file descriptor referencing the host filesystem) to be exposed into a container -- but because of set_dumpable they were blocked. CVE-2016-9962 was an example of this (it wasn't blocked by set_dumpable -- but the fix used set_dumpable). In those cases, if you can trick a host-side process to open that procfs file through a symlink/bind-mount (which is technically "accessible" but not actually usable by the container process), you can trick the resolution to resolve the host filesystem (and this might be a file which is unlinked and thus there's no way for __d_path checking to verify whether it is safe or not). I think that AT_BENEATH allowing only proclinks that result in you being under the root is something we might want in the future, but I think there are some cases where you want to be _very_ sure you don't follow a proclink (now or in the future). * And finally, some containers run with the host's pidns. This is not a usecase that I'm particularly fond of, but some folks do use this (as far as I'm aware this is one of the reasons why the subreaper concept exists). In those cases, the procfs mount would be able to see the host processes -- and thus /proc/self would resolve (as would the host's init and so on). I will admit that this flag is more paranoid than the others though. -- Aleksa Sarai Senior Software Engineer (Containers) SUSE Linux GmbH