On Sat, Oct 01, 2022 at 03:12:06PM +0200, Noralf Trønnes wrote: > > > Den 29.09.2022 18.30, skrev Maxime Ripard: > > Hi, > > > > Here's a series aiming at improving the command line named modes support, > > and more importantly how we deal with all the analog TV variants. > > > > The named modes support were initially introduced to allow to specify the > > analog TV mode to be used. > > > > However, this was causing multiple issues: > > > > * The mode name parsed on the command line was passed directly to the > > driver, which had to figure out which mode it was suppose to match; > > > > * Figuring that out wasn't really easy, since the video= argument or what > > the userspace might not even have a name in the first place, but > > instead could have passed a mode with the same timings; > > > > * The fallback to matching on the timings was mostly working as long as > > we were supporting one 525 lines (most likely NSTC) and one 625 lines > > (PAL), but couldn't differentiate between two modes with the same > > timings (NTSC vs PAL-M vs NSTC-J for example); > > > > * There was also some overlap with the tv mode property registered by > > drm_mode_create_tv_properties(), but named modes weren't interacting > > with that property at all. > > > > * Even though that property was generic, its possible values were > > specific to each drivers, which made some generic support difficult. > > > > Thus, I chose to tackle in multiple steps: > > > > * A new TV mode property was introduced, with generic values, each driver > > reporting through a bitmask what standard it supports to the userspace; > > > > * This option was added to the command line parsing code to be able to > > specify it on the kernel command line, and new atomic_check and reset > > helpers were created to integrate properly into atomic KMS; > > > > * The named mode parsing code is now creating a proper display mode for > > the given named mode, and the TV standard will thus be part of the > > connector state; > > > > * Two drivers were converted and tested for now (vc4 and sun4i), with > > some backward compatibility code to translate the old TV mode to the > > new TV mode; > > > > Unit tests were created along the way. > > > > One can switch from NTSC to PAL now using (on vc4) > > > > modetest -M vc4 -s 53:720x480i -w 53:'TV mode':1 # NTSC > > modetest -M vc4 -s 53:720x576i -w 53:'TV mode':4 # PAL > > > > Let me know what you think, > > Maxime > > > > I suggest that you apply the patches that are reviewed, have merrit on > their own and are not tied to the TV mode property. > This will help in keeping this rather big patchset focused and ease the > task for reviewers. > > The following seems to be in that group: > > drm/tests: Order Kunit tests in Makefile > drm/atomic-helper: Rename drm_atomic_helper_connector_tv_reset to > avoid ambiguity > drm/connector: Rename subconnector state variable > drm/atomic: Add TV subconnector property to get/set_property > drm/modes: Only consider bpp and refresh before options > drm/modes: parse_cmdline: Add support for named modes containing dashes > drm/vc4: vec: Fix definition of PAL-M mode Yeah, that was my intention with this series, it's done now, thanks for the reminder :) Maxime