linux-arm-kernel.lists.infradead.org archive mirror
* [GIT PULL 1/2] arm64: dts: exynos: Pull for v5.4
@ 2019-09-11 18:36 Krzysztof Kozlowski
From: Krzysztof Kozlowski @ 2019-09-11 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olof Johansson, Arnd Bergmann, arm, soc
  Cc: linux-samsung-soc, Kukjin Kim, linux-arm-kernel,
	Krzysztof Kozlowski, linux-kernel

Hi,

Unfortunately the patches were applied right after closing the linux-next.

Best regards,
Krzysztof

The following changes since commit 5f9e832c137075045d15cd6899ab0505cfb2ca4b:

  Linus 5.3-rc1 (2019-07-21 14:05:38 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/krzk/linux.git tags/samsung-dt64-5.4

for you to fetch changes up to 266cf9826de38efac416e744d42364ac7fa9dc5b:

  arm64: dts: exynos: Remove useless #address-cells property for GIC node (2019-09-05 21:27:17 +0200)

Samsung DTS ARM64 changes for v5.4

1. Fix boot of Exynos7 due to wrong address/size of memory node,
2. Move GPU under /soc node,
3. Minor cleanup of #address-cells.

Marek Szyprowski (4):
      arm64: dts: exynos: Propagate address/size cell change to /memory node
      arm64: dts: exynos: Move GPU under /soc node for Exynos5433
      arm64: dts: exynos: Move GPU under /soc node for Exynos7
      arm64: dts: exynos: Remove useless #address-cells property for GIC node

 .../boot/dts/exynos/exynos5433-tm2-common.dtsi     |   2 +-
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/exynos/exynos5433.dtsi         | 102 ++++++++++-----------
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/exynos/exynos7-espresso.dts    |   2 +-
 arch/arm64/boot/dts/exynos/exynos7.dtsi            |  23 +++--

* [GIT PULL 2/2] ARM: samsung: mach/soc for v5.4, second pull
@ 2019-09-11 18:36 ` Krzysztof Kozlowski
From: Krzysztof Kozlowski @ 2019-09-11 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olof Johansson, Arnd Bergmann, arm, soc
  Cc: linux-samsung-soc, Kukjin Kim, linux-arm-kernel,
	Krzysztof Kozlowski, linux-kernel

Hi,

Late pull, on top of previous pull request.  Unfortunately the patches
were applied right after closing the linux-next.

Best regards,
Krzysztof

The following changes since commit c663d542bfb40eeeb6d393ed155c23a4666d65e1:

  MAINTAINERS: Extend patterns for Samsung SoC, Security Subsystem and clock drivers (2019-08-22 21:04:45 +0200)

are available in the Git repository at:

  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/krzk/linux.git tags/samsung-soc-5.4-3

for you to fetch changes up to 13aeb3fe4d5bd78a6dc7bde32986a7296da420d3:

  ARM: exynos: Enable support for ARM architected timers (2019-09-09 20:56:43 +0200)

Samsung mach/soc changes for v5.4, part 2

1. Fix system restart on S3C6410 due to missing match of watchdog,
2. Enable suppor for ARM architected timers on Exynos.

Lihua Yao (1):
      ARM: samsung: Fix system restart on S3C6410

Marek Szyprowski (1):
      ARM: exynos: Enable support for ARM architected timers

 arch/arm/mach-exynos/Kconfig           | 1 +
 arch/arm/plat-samsung/watchdog-reset.c | 1 +
 2 files changed, 2 insertions(+)

* Re: [GIT PULL 1/2] arm64: dts: exynos: Pull for v5.4
@ 2019-09-11 21:07 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2019-09-11 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Kozlowski
  Cc: DTML, moderated list:ARM/SAMSUNG EXYNOS ARM ARCHITECTURES,
	linux-kernel, SoC Team, arm-soc, Kukjin Kim, Olof Johansson,
	Linux ARM

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:36 PM Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@kernel.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately the patches were applied right after closing the linux-next.

Hi Krzysztof,

I took a look at these and am not convinced this is right:

> 1. Fix boot of Exynos7 due to wrong address/size of memory node,

The current state is clearly broken and a fix is needed, but
I'm not sure this is the right fix. Why do you have 32-bit physical
addressing on a 64-bit chip? I looked at commit ef72171b3621
that introduced it, and it seems it would be better to just
revert back to 64-bit addresses.

> 2. Move GPU under /soc node,

No problem

> 3. Minor cleanup of #address-cells.

IIRC, an interrupt-controller is required to have a #address-cells
property, even if that is normally zero. I don't remember the
details, but the gic binding lists it as mandatory, and I think
the PCI interrupt-map relies on it. I would just drop this patch.

    Arnd

* Re: [GIT PULL 2/2] ARM: samsung: mach/soc for v5.4, second pull
@ 2019-09-11 21:10   ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2019-09-11 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Kozlowski
  Cc: moderated list:ARM/SAMSUNG EXYNOS ARM ARCHITECTURES,
	linux-kernel, SoC Team, arm-soc, Kukjin Kim, Olof Johansson,
	Linux ARM

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:36 PM Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@kernel.org> wrote:
> Samsung mach/soc changes for v5.4, part 2
>
> 1. Fix system restart on S3C6410 due to missing match of watchdog,
> 2. Enable suppor for ARM architected timers on Exynos.

Pulled into arm/late, thanks!

     Arnd

* Re: [GIT PULL 1/2] arm64: dts: exynos: Pull for v5.4
@ 2019-09-12  6:32   ` Krzysztof Kozlowski
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Krzysztof Kozlowski @ 2019-09-12  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: DTML, moderated list:ARM/SAMSUNG EXYNOS ARM ARCHITECTURES,

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 23:07, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:36 PM Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Unfortunately the patches were applied right after closing the linux-next.
>
> Hi Krzysztof,
>
> I took a look at these and am not convinced this is right:
>
> > 1. Fix boot of Exynos7 due to wrong address/size of memory node,
>
> The current state is clearly broken and a fix is needed, but
> I'm not sure this is the right fix. Why do you have 32-bit physical
> addressing on a 64-bit chip? I looked at commit ef72171b3621
> that introduced it, and it seems it would be better to just
> revert back to 64-bit addresses.

We discussed with Marek Szyprowski that either we can go back to
64-bit addressing or stick to 32. There are not known boards with more
than 4 GB of RAM so from this point of view the choice was irrelevant.
At the end of discussion I mentioned to stick with other arm64 boards
(although not all), so revert to have 64 bit address... but Marek
chosen differently. Since you ask, let's go back with revert.

> > 2. Move GPU under /soc node,
>
> No problem
>
> > 3. Minor cleanup of #address-cells.
>
> IIRC, an interrupt-controller is required to have a #address-cells
> property, even if that is normally zero. I don't remember the
> details, but the gic binding lists it as mandatory, and I think
> the PCI interrupt-map relies on it. I would just drop this patch.

Indeed, binding requires both address and size cells. I'll drop it.

Best regards,
Krzysztof

* Re: [GIT PULL 1/2] arm64: dts: exynos: Pull for v5.4
@ 2019-09-12  6:56     ` Marek Szyprowski
From: Marek Szyprowski @ 2019-09-12  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Kozlowski, Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: DTML, moderated list:ARM/SAMSUNG EXYNOS ARM ARCHITECTURES,
	linux-kernel, SoC Team, arm-soc, Kukjin Kim, Olof Johansson,
	Linux ARM

Hi

On 2019-09-12 08:32, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 23:07, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:36 PM Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@kernel.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Unfortunately the patches were applied right after closing the linux-next.
>> Hi Krzysztof,
>>
>> I took a look at these and am not convinced this is right:
>>
>>> 1. Fix boot of Exynos7 due to wrong address/size of memory node,
>> The current state is clearly broken and a fix is needed, but
>> I'm not sure this is the right fix. Why do you have 32-bit physical
>> addressing on a 64-bit chip? I looked at commit ef72171b3621
>> that introduced it, and it seems it would be better to just
>> revert back to 64-bit addresses.
> We discussed with Marek Szyprowski that either we can go back to
> 64-bit addressing or stick to 32. There are not known boards with more
> than 4 GB of RAM so from this point of view the choice was irrelevant.
> At the end of discussion I mentioned to stick with other arm64 boards
> (although not all), so revert to have 64 bit address... but Marek
> chosen differently. Since you ask, let's go back with revert.

I decided to go with 32bit version to make the fix smaller and easier to
backport. If you select revert, make sure that it is applied after
moving gpu node under /soc, otherwise the gpu node will have incorrect
(32bit) reg property. Also add the gpu related patch as an (optional?)
prerequisite for it.

>> 2. Move GPU under /soc node,
>> No problem
>>
>>> 3. Minor cleanup of #address-cells.
>> IIRC, an interrupt-controller is required to have a #address-cells
>> property, even if that is normally zero. I don't remember the
>> details, but the gic binding lists it as mandatory, and I think
>> the PCI interrupt-map relies on it. I would just drop this patch.
> Indeed, binding requires both address and size cells. I'll drop it.

Ookay, I wasn't aware of that.

Best regards
--
Marek Szyprowski, PhD
Samsung R&D Institute Poland

* Re: [GIT PULL 1/2] arm64: dts: exynos: Pull for v5.4
@ 2019-09-12  9:35     ` Krzysztof Kozlowski
From: Krzysztof Kozlowski @ 2019-09-12  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann, Marek Szyprowski
  Cc: DTML, moderated list:ARM/SAMSUNG EXYNOS ARM ARCHITECTURES,

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 at 08:32, Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 23:07, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:36 PM Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@kernel.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Unfortunately the patches were applied right after closing the linux-next.
> >
> > Hi Krzysztof,
> >
> > I took a look at these and am not convinced this is right:
> >
> > > 1. Fix boot of Exynos7 due to wrong address/size of memory node,
> >
> > The current state is clearly broken and a fix is needed, but
> > I'm not sure this is the right fix. Why do you have 32-bit physical
> > addressing on a 64-bit chip? I looked at commit ef72171b3621
> > that introduced it, and it seems it would be better to just
> > revert back to 64-bit addresses.
>
> We discussed with Marek Szyprowski that either we can go back to
> 64-bit addressing or stick to 32. There are not known boards with more
> than 4 GB of RAM so from this point of view the choice was irrelevant.
> At the end of discussion I mentioned to stick with other arm64 boards
> (although not all), so revert to have 64 bit address... but Marek
> chosen differently. Since you ask, let's go back with revert.
>

> > > 2. Move GPU under /soc node,
> >
> > No problem
> >
> > > 3. Minor cleanup of #address-cells.
> >
> > IIRC, an interrupt-controller is required to have a #address-cells
> > property, even if that is normally zero. I don't remember the
> > details, but the gic binding lists it as mandatory, and I think
> > the PCI interrupt-map relies on it. I would just drop this patch.
>
> Indeed, binding requires both address and size cells. I'll drop it.

Short update: no, address-cells are not required by bindings. They are
optional. In case of lack of them, the parent address-cells will be
used so effectively this patch was changing it from 0 to 1. Anyway
this was not expressed in commit msg so I'll drop it.

Best regards,
Krzysztof

* Re: [GIT PULL 1/2] arm64: dts: exynos: Pull for v5.4
@ 2019-09-29 17:51     ` Olof Johansson
From: Olof Johansson @ 2019-09-29 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Kozlowski
  Cc: DTML, moderated list:ARM/SAMSUNG EXYNOS ARM ARCHITECTURES,

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 08:32:47AM +0200, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 23:07, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:36 PM Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@kernel.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Unfortunately the patches were applied right after closing the linux-next.
> >
> > Hi Krzysztof,
> >
> > I took a look at these and am not convinced this is right:
> >
> > > 1. Fix boot of Exynos7 due to wrong address/size of memory node,
> >
> > The current state is clearly broken and a fix is needed, but
> > I'm not sure this is the right fix. Why do you have 32-bit physical
> > addressing on a 64-bit chip? I looked at commit ef72171b3621
> > that introduced it, and it seems it would be better to just
> > revert back to 64-bit addresses.
>
> We discussed with Marek Szyprowski that either we can go back to
> 64-bit addressing or stick to 32. There are not known boards with more
> than 4 GB of RAM so from this point of view the choice was irrelevant.
> At the end of discussion I mentioned to stick with other arm64 boards
> (although not all), so revert to have 64 bit address... but Marek
> chosen differently. Since you ask, let's go back with revert.
>

> > > 2. Move GPU under /soc node,
> >
> > No problem
> >
> > > 3. Minor cleanup of #address-cells.
> >
> > IIRC, an interrupt-controller is required to have a #address-cells
> > property, even if that is normally zero. I don't remember the
> > details, but the gic binding lists it as mandatory, and I think
> > the PCI interrupt-map relies on it. I would just drop this patch.
>
> Indeed, binding requires both address and size cells. I'll drop it.

Looking through the history of pending material, I didn't see a new pull for
this material. Just checking in to see if there's something we missed?

Thanks,

-Olof

* Re: [GIT PULL 1/2] arm64: dts: exynos: Pull for v5.4
@ 2019-09-30  8:02       ` Krzysztof Kozlowski
From: Krzysztof Kozlowski @ 2019-09-30  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olof Johansson
  Cc: DTML, moderated list:ARM/SAMSUNG EXYNOS ARM ARCHITECTURES,

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 10:51:34AM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 08:32:47AM +0200, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:

> > > Hi Krzysztof,
> > >
> > > I took a look at these and am not convinced this is right:

> > > The current state is clearly broken and a fix is needed, but
> > > I'm not sure this is the right fix. Why do you have 32-bit physical
> > > addressing on a 64-bit chip? I looked at commit ef72171b3621
> > > that introduced it, and it seems it would be better to just
> > > revert back to 64-bit addresses.
> >
> > We discussed with Marek Szyprowski that either we can go back to
> > 64-bit addressing or stick to 32. There are not known boards with more
> > than 4 GB of RAM so from this point of view the choice was irrelevant.
> > At the end of discussion I mentioned to stick with other arm64 boards
> > (although not all), so revert to have 64 bit address... but Marek
> > chosen differently. Since you ask, let's go back with revert.

> > > No problem

> > > IIRC, an interrupt-controller is required to have a #address-cells
> > > property, even if that is normally zero. I don't remember the
> > > details, but the gic binding lists it as mandatory, and I think
> > > the PCI interrupt-map relies on it. I would just drop this patch.
> >
> > Indeed, binding requires both address and size cells. I'll drop it.
>
> Looking through the history of pending material, I didn't see a new pull for
> this material. Just checking in to see if there's something we missed?

No, it's me who forgot to resend. I was sure that I rebased the branch
and created new pull request. However it seems I did not. Let's keep it
for next merge window... v5.4-rc should be any minute, I guess?

Best regards,
Krzysztof

* Re: [GIT PULL 1/2] arm64: dts: exynos: Pull for v5.4
@ 2019-09-30 17:35         ` Olof Johansson
From: Olof Johansson @ 2019-09-30 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krzysztof Kozlowski
  Cc: DTML, moderated list:ARM/SAMSUNG EXYNOS ARM ARCHITECTURES,

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 1:02 AM Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 10:51:34AM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > We discussed with Marek Szyprowski that either we can go back to
> > > 64-bit addressing or stick to 32. There are not known boards with more
> > > than 4 GB of RAM so from this point of view the choice was irrelevant.
> > > At the end of discussion I mentioned to stick with other arm64 boards
> > > (although not all), so revert to have 64 bit address... but Marek
> > > chosen differently. Since you ask, let's go back with revert.

> > > Indeed, binding requires both address and size cells. I'll drop it.
> >
> > Looking through the history of pending material, I didn't see a new pull for
> > this material. Just checking in to see if there's something we missed?
>
> No, it's me who forgot to resend. I was sure that I rebased the branch
> and created new pull request. However it seems I did not. Let's keep it
> for next merge window... v5.4-rc should be any minute, I guess?

Yeah, we're too late for this merge window but feel free to send it
for next release.

-Olof