linux-arm-msm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Caleb Connolly <caleb@connolly.tech>
To: Saravana Kannan <saravanak@google.com>
Cc: Rob Clark <robdclark@gmail.com>,
	John Stultz <john.stultz@linaro.org>,
	Amit Pundir <amit.pundir@linaro.org>,
	Bjorn Andersson <bjorn.andersson@linaro.org>,
	Douglas Anderson <dianders@chromium.org>,
	Stephen Boyd <swboyd@chromium.org>,
	linux-arm-msm <linux-arm-msm@vger.kernel.org>,
	dmitry.baryshkov@linaro.org
Subject: Re: fw_devlink breakage on SDM845 / a630 with DSI displays
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 00:17:32 +0000	[thread overview]

On 20/05/2021 1:06 am, Saravana Kannan wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 3:43 PM Caleb Connolly <caleb@connolly.tech> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Saravana,

>>> Hi Caleb,
>>>
>>> Is this a device that's supported upstream? If so, can you please
>>> point me to the DTS file that corresponds to this board?
>> The DTS can be found in
>> arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom/sdm845-oneplus-common.dtsi (the two devices
>> "enchilada" and "fajita" share almost all hardware in common).
>>>
>>> Also, can you please change all the dev_dbg to dev_info in these
>>> functions and give me the full boot log?
>>> device_link_add()
>>> device_links_check_suppliers()
>> I've uploaded a log here: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/8ynFgRWbYW/
>> For reference, the same but with fw_devlink=permissive:
>> https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/F2853CphHb/
>>>
>>> Can you also tell what device are not probing with fw_devlink=on that
>>> might be probing with fw_devlink=permissive?
>> The devices in question are ae00000.mdss, ae94000.dsi and ae01000.mdp.
>>> You should be able to compare /<debugfs>/devices_deferred to figure that out.
>> devices_deferred is empty for me,
>
> So, ae00000.mdss, ae94000.dsi and ae01000.mdp are probing for =on and
> =permissive?
>
> That's interesting. So maybe fw_devlink is somehow changing the probe
> order that's causing this? AFAIK, fw_devlink shouldn't cause changes
> to probe order (it used to, but I've fixed them all).
Yeah, they always successfully probe, it seems like fw_devlink is
exposing some racy behaviour somewhere.

The issue happens when initialising the display for framebuffer device
emulation - with framebuffer emulation disabled it all mostly works as
expected. With the caveat that there is nothing on the display until the
device has finished booting AND the user causes a refresh by pressing
the power button a few times.

Perhaps this early framebuffer driver is causing confusion as it has
different dependencies than the main driver?

>> however device_component contains
>> (only) the following:
>> oneplus6:/home/user# cat /sys/kernel/debug/device_component/ae00000.mdss
>> master name                                            status
>> ae00000.mdss                                            bound
>>
>> device name                                            status
>> ae01000.mdp                                             bound
>> ae94000.dsi                                             bound
>> 5000000.gpu                                             bound
>
> Sorry, I have no context on this and how to interpret it. I kinda know
> a little about the component framework, but not much. Is this file the
> same for =on and =permissive?
Apologies, I assumed it had something to do with fw_devlink. It's the
same for both cases yeah.

--
Kind Regards,
Caleb