linux-arm-msm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Caleb Connolly <caleb@connolly.tech>
To: Saravana Kannan <saravanak@google.com>, Rob Clark <robdclark@gmail.com>
Cc: John Stultz <john.stultz@linaro.org>,
	Amit Pundir <amit.pundir@linaro.org>,
	Bjorn Andersson <bjorn.andersson@linaro.org>,
	Douglas Anderson <dianders@chromium.org>,
	Stephen Boyd <swboyd@chromium.org>,
	linux-arm-msm <linux-arm-msm@vger.kernel.org>,
	dmitry.baryshkov@linaro.org
Subject: Re: fw_devlink breakage on SDM845 / a630 with DSI displays
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 22:42:55 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Saravana,

On 19/05/2021 10:52 pm, Saravana Kannan wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 8:36 AM Rob Clark <robdclark@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> + some more folks and msm list..
>>
>> I suppose I didn't hit this because CONFIG_FBDEV_EMULATION is not
>> normally enabled for CrOS.. but I'm not really to familiar with
>> fw_devlink
>>
>> BR,
>> -R
>>
>> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 8:26 AM Caleb Connolly <caleb@connolly.tech> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since -rc1 I've been hit by some DRM breakage in freedreno which happens
>>> when fw_devlink=on. It seems to cause some clocks (rcg) to get stuck and
>>> break DSI displays, here's a full log from the OnePlus 6:
>>> https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/8kPx4nFGF5/ (that is with
>>> "deferred_probe_timeout") The PocoPhone F1 also seems to be affected by
>>> this.
>>>
>>> The display will still come up after pressing the power button a few
>>> times, although it will be incredibly slow.
>>>
>>> It's worth noting that the issue only happens with
>>> CONFIG_FBDEV_EMULATION is enabled, I've previously required this to see
>>> kernel logs during boot and general boot splash with postmarketOS.
>>> Without it the display will be stuck on the bootloader splash until I
>>> press the power button and cause it to update once UI (like Phosh) has
>>> started (though this has been the case for quite some time).
>>>
>>> I'd appreciate any help with debugging / resolving this issue, I'm
>>> afraid I haven't been able to determine much from some brief digging.
>>>

> Hi Caleb,
>
> Is this a device that's supported upstream? If so, can you please
> point me to the DTS file that corresponds to this board?
The DTS can be found in
arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom/sdm845-oneplus-common.dtsi (the two devices
"enchilada" and "fajita" share almost all hardware in common).

> Also, can you please change all the dev_dbg to dev_info in these
> functions and give me the full boot log?
> device_link_add()
> device_links_check_suppliers()
I've uploaded a log here: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/8ynFgRWbYW/
For reference, the same but with fw_devlink=permissive:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/F2853CphHb/

> Can you also tell what device are not probing with fw_devlink=on that
> might be probing with fw_devlink=permissive?
The devices in question are ae00000.mdss, ae94000.dsi and ae01000.mdp.
> You should be able to compare /<debugfs>/devices_deferred to figure that out.
devices_deferred is empty for me, however device_component contains
(only) the following:
oneplus6:/home/user# cat /sys/kernel/debug/device_component/ae00000.mdss
master name                                            status
ae00000.mdss                                            bound

device name                                            status
ae01000.mdp                                             bound
ae94000.dsi                                             bound
5000000.gpu                                             bound

> Thanks,
> Saravana

I tried reverting the commit Dmitry mentioned however it didn't seem to
have any effect for me. (Cc'd)

--
Kind Regards,
Caleb