linux-arm-msm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Saravana Kannan <saravanak@google.com>
To: Caleb Connolly <caleb@connolly.tech>
Cc: Rob Clark <robdclark@gmail.com>,
	John Stultz <john.stultz@linaro.org>,
	Amit Pundir <amit.pundir@linaro.org>,
	Bjorn Andersson <bjorn.andersson@linaro.org>,
	Douglas Anderson <dianders@chromium.org>,
	Stephen Boyd <swboyd@chromium.org>,
	linux-arm-msm <linux-arm-msm@vger.kernel.org>,
	dmitry.baryshkov@linaro.org
Subject: Re: fw_devlink breakage on SDM845 / a630 with DSI displays
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 17:06:13 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 3:43 PM Caleb Connolly <caleb@connolly.tech> wrote:

> Hi Saravana,
>
> On 19/05/2021 10:52 pm, Saravana Kannan wrote:
> > On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 8:36 AM Rob Clark <robdclark@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> + some more folks and msm list..
> >>
> >> I suppose I didn't hit this because CONFIG_FBDEV_EMULATION is not
> >> normally enabled for CrOS.. but I'm not really to familiar with
> >> fw_devlink
> >>
> >> BR,
> >> -R

> > Hi Caleb,
> >
> > Is this a device that's supported upstream? If so, can you please
> > point me to the DTS file that corresponds to this board?
> The DTS can be found in
> arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom/sdm845-oneplus-common.dtsi (the two devices
> "enchilada" and "fajita" share almost all hardware in common).
> >
> > Also, can you please change all the dev_dbg to dev_info in these
> > functions and give me the full boot log?
> > device_link_add()
> > device_links_check_suppliers()
> I've uploaded a log here: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/8ynFgRWbYW/
> For reference, the same but with fw_devlink=permissive:
> https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/F2853CphHb/
> >
> > Can you also tell what device are not probing with fw_devlink=on that
> > might be probing with fw_devlink=permissive?
> The devices in question are ae00000.mdss, ae94000.dsi and ae01000.mdp.
> > You should be able to compare /<debugfs>/devices_deferred to figure that out.
> devices_deferred is empty for me,

So, ae00000.mdss, ae94000.dsi and ae01000.mdp are probing for =on and
=permissive?

That's interesting. So maybe fw_devlink is somehow changing the probe
order that's causing this? AFAIK, fw_devlink shouldn't cause changes
to probe order (it used to, but I've fixed them all).

> however device_component contains
> (only) the following:
> oneplus6:/home/user# cat /sys/kernel/debug/device_component/ae00000.mdss
> master name                                            status
> ae00000.mdss                                            bound
>
> device name                                            status
> ae01000.mdp                                             bound
> ae94000.dsi                                             bound
> 5000000.gpu                                             bound

Sorry, I have no context on this and how to interpret it. I kinda know
a little about the component framework, but not much. Is this file the
same for =on and =permissive?

-Saravana