linux-audit.redhat.com archive mirror
* Error handling of auditctl -w
@ 2020-06-16 20:00 Stefan Tauner
From: Stefan Tauner @ 2020-06-16 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

Hi,

I was wondering why my auditctl executions do not print any errors but
apparently didn't do anything. After checking the return value (which
was 255) I looked at the code and noticed that audit_setup_perms() and
audit_update_watch_perms() have virtually no user-visible error reporting.

* Re: Error handling of auditctl -w
@ 2020-06-18 23:54 ` Lenny Bruzenak
From: Lenny Bruzenak @ 2020-06-18 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

On 6/16/20 2:00 PM, Stefan Tauner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering why my auditctl executions do not print any errors but
> apparently didn't do anything. After checking the return value (which
> was 255) I looked at the code and noticed that audit_setup_perms() and
> audit_update_watch_perms() have virtually no user-visible error reporting.

Are these in a rules file? I was thinking about perhaps a previous "-i"
(i.e. auditctl -i) preceeded your rule, however the man page says it
always returns a success code.

So probably not that, unless the man page doesn't match reality. Can you
provide a little more detail (e.g. parameters)?

Thx,

LCB

--
Lenny Bruzenak
MagitekLTD

* Re: Error handling of auditctl -w
@ 2020-06-21 18:38 ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2020-06-21 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit; +Cc: Stefan Tauner

Hello,

On Tuesday, June 16, 2020 4:00:17 PM EDT Stefan Tauner wrote:
> I was wondering why my auditctl executions do not print any errors but
> apparently didn't do anything. After checking the return value (which
> was 255) I looked at the code and noticed that audit_setup_perms() and
> audit_update_watch_perms() have virtually no user-visible error reporting.

Git commit 4a2b9fd should fix this. Thanks for reporting it!

-Steve