linux-audit.redhat.com archive mirror
* Help with setting up Auditd kernel repository
@ 2023-03-20 12:20 Anurag Aggarwal
From: Anurag Aggarwal @ 2023-03-20 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-audit

Hello All,

Will anyone help me with some documentation on how to build and test
auditd-kernel repository?

--
Anurag Aggarwal

* Re: Help with setting up Auditd kernel repository
@ 2023-03-20 14:29 ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2023-03-20 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anurag Aggarwal; +Cc: Linux-audit

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 8:20 AM Anurag Aggarwal
<anurag19aggarwal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Will anyone help me with some documentation on how to build and test
> auditd-kernel repository?

Can you be more specific about the exact repository?  There is a
repository which contains the development code for the Linux Kernel's
audit subsystem, and there is a second repository which contains
Steve's audit userspace code (which contains auditd as a component).
There is no combined "auditd-kernel" repository.

--
paul-moore.com

* Re: Help with setting up Auditd kernel repository
@ 2023-03-20 15:09   ` Anurag Aggarwal
From: Anurag Aggarwal @ 2023-03-20 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore; +Cc: Linux-audit

> Can you be more specific about the exact repository?  There is a
> repository which contains the development code for the Linux Kernel's
> audit subsystem, and there is a second repository which contains
> Steve's audit userspace code (which contains auditd as a component).
> There is no combined "auditd-kernel" repository.

Yes Paul, the repository that I am talking about is:
https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-kernel

I have separately cloned Steve's audit userspace code and I am able to build it.

--

@ 2023-03-20 15:50     ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2023-03-20 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anurag Aggarwal; +Cc: audit, Linux-audit

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 11:09 AM Anurag Aggarwal
<anurag19aggarwal@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Can you be more specific about the exact repository?  There is a
> > repository which contains the development code for the Linux Kernel's
> > audit subsystem, and there is a second repository which contains
> > Steve's audit userspace code (which contains auditd as a component).
> > There is no combined "auditd-kernel" repository.
>
> Yes Paul, the repository that I am talking about is:
> https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-kernel

[NOTE: The upstream Linux Kernel discussion has moved to
audit@vger.kernel.org, CC'd on this email]

Thanks for the clarification.

If you aren't already aware of the Kernel Newbies site, it's a good
resource for getting familiar with the Linux Kernel.  There are a
couple of pages which I believe might be helpful here, the first is
the guide on building the Linux Kernel:

* https://kernelnewbies.org/KernelBuild

... the second page is a general landing page which has links to other
kernel related guides and resources:

* https://kernelnewbies.org/KernelHacking

These info on these pages should help you get started but if you have
any additional questions let us know.

--
paul-moore.com