linux-bcache.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* bcachefs snapshots
@ 2021-07-20  1:28 Eric Wheeler
From: Eric Wheeler @ 2021-07-20  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kent.overstreet; +Cc: linux-bcache, linux-bcachefs

Hi Kent,

I read your bcachefs snapshots doc recently, it looks like you've put a
lot of thought into it.  Is it ready for testing?

We use a lot of btrfs snapshots of VM images but the performance is pretty
poor and I'm looking forward to trying out bcachefs snapshots when it is
ready to try out.

We also have many dm-thin deployments backed by /dev/bcache0 volumes that
work quite well, but dm-thin meta is always an ongoing maintenance issue.
(Don't run out of dm-thin meta space or *boom*!)

If bcachefs can replace dm-thin with loopback files (or even better,
native bcachefs devices!) then I look forward to getting beyond
dm-thin into something more scalable.

Cheers,

-Eric

--
Eric Wheeler

* Re: bcachefs snapshots
@ 2021-07-20 21:09 ` Kent Overstreet
From: Kent Overstreet @ 2021-07-20 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wheeler; +Cc: linux-bcache, linux-bcachefs

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 01:28:33AM +0000, Eric Wheeler wrote:
> Hi Kent,
>
> I read your bcachefs snapshots doc recently, it looks like you've put a
> lot of thought into it.  Is it ready for testing?
>
> We use a lot of btrfs snapshots of VM images but the performance is pretty
> poor and I'm looking forward to trying out bcachefs snapshots when it is
> ready to try out.
>
> We also have many dm-thin deployments backed by /dev/bcache0 volumes that
> work quite well, but dm-thin meta is always an ongoing maintenance issue.
> (Don't run out of dm-thin meta space or *boom*!)
>
> If bcachefs can replace dm-thin with loopback files (or even better,
> native bcachefs devices!) then I look forward to getting beyond
> dm-thin into something more scalable.

It's not ready just yet - but the initial performance numbers are _extremely_
encouraging, I'll be posting more soon!