linux-bcachefs.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Eric Wheeler <bcachefs@lists.ewheeler.net>
To: Demi Marie Obenour <demi@invisiblethingslab.com>
Cc: linux-bcachefs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Comparison to ZFS and BTRFS
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 15:43:54 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> How does bcachefs manage to outperform ZFS and BTRFS?  Obviously being
> licensed under GPL-compatible terms is an advantage for inclusion in
> Linux, but I am more interested in the technical aspects.

Hi Demi,

It sounds like you are curious about the technical implementation details,
you might have a look at the architecture writeup and related
documentation:
	https://bcachefs.org/Architecture/

> - How does bcachefs avoid the dreaded RAID write hole?

I believe erasure coding will handle this, the Wiki says EC is still in
dev.  However RAID1/10 works.

> - How does bcachefs avoid the nasty performance pitfalls that plague
>   BTRFS?  Are VM disks and databases on bcachefs fast?
> - How does an O_DIRECT loop device on bcachefs compare to a zvol on ZFS?

It would be great to see some benchmarks!  Demi, can you setup a disk
benchmark on the Phoronix Test Suite and send us your findings?

Including NVMe-tiered bcachefs vs non-tiered benchmarks against ZFS+ARC
and without ARC vs. btrfs would be interesting.  Including XFS and EXT4 as
a baseline would be good to see to.

A second benchmark showing performance across snapshots would be
informative as well; it would indicate the COW performance behavior of
bcachefs vs zfs bs btrfs.

Kent might be interested in updating the performance page on the Wiki if
you can provide numbers!

> - Is there a good description of the bcachefs on-disk format anywhere?

Same link: https://bcachefs.org/Architecture/ and also see these on the
right side of the page:
    BtreeIterators
    BtreeNodes
    BtreeWhiteouts
    Encryption
    Transactions
    Snapshots
    Allocator
    Fsck
    Roadmap

> - What are the internal abstraction layers used in bcachefs?  Is it a
>   key-value store with a filesystem on top of it, the way ZFS is?

b-tree :)

> - Is it possible to shrink a bcachefs filesystem?  Does bcachefs have
>   any restrictions regarding the size of disks in a pool, or can I just
>   throw a bunch of varying-size disks at bcachefs and have it spread the
>   data around automatically to provide the level of redundancy I want?

Kent?

> - Can bcachefs use faster storage as a cache for slower storage, or
>   otherwise move data around based on usage patterns?

Tiered storage.  See "Feature Status" here:
	https://bcachefs.org/

> - Can bcachefs saturate your typical NVMe drive on realistic workloads?
>   Can it do so with encryption enabled?

Benchmarks welcome ;)

> - Is support for swap files on bcachefs planned?  That would require
>   being able to perform O_DIRECT asynchronous writes without any memory
>   allocations.

Its on the roadmap:
	https://bcachefs.org/Todo/

> - Is bcachefs being used in production anywhere?

I believe there are users with bcachefs running as the root filesystem
(Kent, didn't you say you boot from bcachefs?).

We are experimenting with using it as a MySQL database filesystem but do
not yet have data on that subject.

-Eric