linux-block.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@linaro.org>
To: Alex Lemberg <Alex.Lemberg@sandisk.com>
Cc: Avri Altman <Avri.Altman@sandisk.com>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>,
	"ulf. org" <ulf.hansson@linaro.org>,
	"linux-mmc@vger.kernel.org" <linux-mmc@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-block@vger.kernel.org" <linux-block@vger.kernel.org>,
	Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>,
	Adrian Hunter <adrian.hunter@intel.com>,
	Paolo Valente <paolo.valente@linaro.org>
Subject: Re: Outstanding MQ questions from MMC
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 11:36:34 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Alex Lemberg <Alex.Lemberg@sandisk.com> wrote:

> There is an additional functionality, which is require the host lock
> to be held for several write commands - the FFU.
> In case of FFU, the FW can be download/write in several iterations
> of Write command (CMD25). This sequence should not be interrupted by regular
> Write requests.
> In current driver, both FFU and RPMB can be sent by using mmc_blk_ioctl_multi_cmd().

Both single and multi ioctl()s are funneled into the block layer
using the driver-specific request ops in the latest iteration of
my patch set.

It turns out this was a simpler change than I though.

If you check the patch set I realized that I also fixes a userspace
starvation issue when issueing ioctls() such as for RPMB
during heavy block I/O.

This usecase:

> dd if=/dev/mmcblk3 of=/dev/null bs=1M &
> mmc extcs read /dev/mmcblk3

This would previously hang until the dd command was complete before
issuing the ioctl() command, just waiting for the host lock.
I guess RPMB has the same problem...

It is now fixed.

If you can verify the v2 patch set (just posted) and provide Tested-by's
(or bug reports...) it's appreciated.

Yours,
Linus Walleij