Linux-Block Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Hannes Reinecke <hare@suse.de>
To: Manuel Bentele <manuel-bentele@web.de>, linux-block@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Adding QCOW2 reading/writing support
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 13:58:33 +0200

On 4/16/19 11:30 PM, Manuel Bentele wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I'm going to implement an in-kernel reading of QCOW2 images.
> In the project, I only need the reading of QCOW2 images, but it's
> essential to make thoughts for the implementation of the writing, too.
> One of the difficulties seems to be the support of making an image
> sparse (resizing the disk image).
>
> Now, I want to ask you for advice: What is the best approach to achieve
> this?
>
>    * Implement the reading/writing in the device mapper?
>    * Extend the loop device?
>    * Create a new subsystem for the processing of sparse devices or images?
>
> Or do you have any other idea?

I'm not sure if that would be met with universal acclaim; file formats
are regarded as userland policies, and shouldn't be handled in the
kernel at all.
Have you looked at fuse?

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke            Teamlead Storage & Networking
hare@suse.de                              +49 911 74053 688

  parent reply index