linux-block.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Bart Van Assche <bvanassche@acm.org>
To: Salman Qazi <sqazi@google.com>
Cc: Ming Lei <ming.lei@redhat.com>, Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>,
	linux-block@vger.kernel.org, Gwendal Grignou <gwendal@google.com>,
	Jesse Barnes <jsbarnes@google.com>
Subject: Re: BLKSECDISCARD ioctl and hung tasks
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 21:49:47 -0800	[thread overview]

On 2020-02-13 11:21, Salman Qazi wrote:
> AFAICT, This is not actually sufficient, because the issuer of the bio
> is waiting for the entire bio, regardless of how it is split later.
> But, also there isn't a good mapping between the size of the secure
> discard and how long it will take.  If given the geometry of a flash
> device, it is not hard to construct a scenario where a relatively
> small secure discard (few thousand sectors) will take a very long time
> (multiple seconds).
>
> Having said that, I don't like neutering the hung task timer either.

Hi Salman,

How about modifying the block layer such that completions of bio
fragments are considered as task activity? I think that bio splitting is
rare enough for such a change not to affect performance of the hot path.

How about setting max_discard_segments such that a discard always
completes in less than half the hung task timeout? This may make
discards a bit slower for one particular block driver but I think that's
better than hung task complaints.

Thanks,

Bart.