linux-bluetooth.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Denis Kenzior <denkenz@gmail.com>
To: "Pali Rohár" <pali.rohar@gmail.com>
Cc: Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.dentz@gmail.com>,
	"linux-bluetooth@vger.kernel.org"
	<linux-bluetooth@vger.kernel.org>, Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk@iki.fi>,
	General PulseAudio Discussion
	<pulseaudio-discuss@lists.freedesktop.org>,
	ofono@ofono.org, devkit-devel@lists.freedesktop.org,
	Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>, Georg Chini <georg@chini.tk>,
	Russell Treleaven <rtreleaven@bunnykick.ca>,
	Arun Raghavan <arun@arunraghavan.net>,
	Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org>,
	Sebastian Reichel <sre@ring0.de>, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
Subject: Re: [pulseaudio-discuss] Proposal for a new API and usage of Bluetooth HSP and HFP profiles on Linux
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 14:53:24 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi Pali,

>>> I'm not sure what logic around HSP you really care about.  It is just a
>>> single button press in the end.
>>
>> CSR features (battery status level, ...) and CSR codec selection (e.g.
>> AuriStream). Also some apple extensions are used in HSP profile.

Since HFP can do everything that HSP can and more, I view HSP as
deprecated and not to be used.  If these are also available in HFP, then
I'd just use HFP instead.  But HSP was never my focus, so if you feel
there's a need for better HSP support, then fair enough.

>>> For HFP, oFono can already support all sorts of extensions.  See for example
>>> how we handled Siri for HFP support in oFono here:
>>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/network/ofono/ofono.git/tree/doc/siri-api.txt.
>
> About Siri: In hsphfpd API it is delegated to Telephony Agent. So
> hsphfpd is not going to (re)implement it.
>
>> I saw. But it does not support usage of vendor codecs, like CSR
>> AuriStream and it does not support CSR extensions, like displaying text
>> on embedded display.

But that's my point, you can easily accomplish this by creating another
oFono API / atom for HFP CSR extensions and expose this information /
functionality.  Similar to how Siri was done.  I see no need for a
completely new external daemon.

>>> Many of the extensions you talked about are also relevant for real modems as
>>> well (like battery reporting, call volume, etc).  Some of these APIs are
>>> already defined in fact.
>>>
>>> Given the above, oFono upstream has no interest in adding or maintaining
>>> support this new framework.
>
> Maybe better question: Do you mean that you do not want to maintain
> hsphfpd, or that you completely do not want to see that ofono would be
> "Telepony Agent" for hsphfpd?

The latter.

>> Denis, if you are not interested in my proposed hsphfpd daemon, how you
>> want to solve problem with other extensions and other vendor codecs?

See above..

>> Also in my proposed solution it is possible to use HFP profile without
>> Telephony Agent (ofono). Do you think it is really a good idea to have
>> strong dependency on ofono just for bluetooth HFP headset?

Why not?  The main purpose of HFP is telephony; whether it is classic
phone calls or skype/facetime.  oFono seems a natural fit.

>> Also for using ofono with HFP profile is not possible on desktop
>> computer which do not have any modem as it is hooked to some active
>> modem.

This statement is not true at all.  You can use oFono without any 'real'
modems attached.  It can happily manage only HFP devices (or modems as
we call them.)

>> There is a way to use ofono sim simulator which provide fake modem, but
>> its setup is hard on desktop and it not automated.

You must be thinking of the oFono HFP AG implementation...

>> So connecting bluetooth headset in HFP profile with ofono is something
>> not so easy and not an obvious way.

Again, not true.  As I said above, you can use oFono for this use case
just fine.  Certainly the main driver for the development of oFono was
to drive real modem hardware, but it isn't limited to that.  So if you
want to use it only for HFP, you can.

Regards,
-Denis