Linux-Bluetooth Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
From: Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@gmail.com>
To: Youssif Saeed <youssif.am.saeed@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-bluetooth <linux-bluetooth@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Directed advertisements from the command line
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 17:53:00 +0200

Hi Yussif,

On Sat, Feb 02, 2019, Youssif Saeed wrote:
> Is there a tool/utility/option for enabling directed advertising?
> Currently, it seems that the only options available through
> bluetoothctl is undirected advertising. I can see that there is a
> "type" field in the advertising section, but from browsing through the
> source, it looks like the only supported options are "peripheral" and
> "broadcast" (This can be seen in bluez/client/main.c). Is there an
> option or another utility that enables this feature?

If I remember right, you can force the kernel to do directed advertising
by enabling the "advertising" mgmt setting (e.g. "btmgmt advertising on"),
and then issuing a connect on an L2CAP socket to your wanted destination
address. This was originally designed for testing purposes, so I'm not
sure how practical it's for anything else.

Johan