Linux-Bluetooth Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: "Pali Rohár" <pali.rohar@gmail.com>
To: Luiz Augusto von Dentz <luiz.dentz@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-bluetooth@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: bluez A2DP socket reliability
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 14:22:23 +0200

On Sunday 19 May 2019 11:13:09 Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
> Hi Pali,
>
> On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 11:12 PM Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello! How is L2CAP layer of bluetooth socket used for A2DP audio
> > transfer configured in bluez? It is reliable with big/infinite
> > retransmit count? Or in best-effort manner and some packets may be
> > dropped? And it is possible to change between these two modes for
> > application which uses bluez DBUS API? I'm asking because some A2DP
> > audio codecs are designed to deal with packet loss and for those codecs
> > it would be probably better to configure L2CAP socket to unreliable
> > mode.
>
> We don't use ERTM with AVDTP, both signaling and transport sockets are
> using basic mode which don't support retransmissions, there the
> concept of flush timeout which iirc we don't currently it.

On bluez.org site there is no information how to use bluez sockets and
the only documentation/tutorial which I found on internet was this:

  https://people.csail.mit.edu/albert/bluez-intro/x559.html

I do not know how up-to-date it is, but seems that by default bluez
L2CAP sockets are reliable and to change them to unreliable mode it is
needed to issue OGF_HOST_CTL / OCF_WRITE_AUTOMATIC_FLUSH_TIMEOUT (0x28)
request. As default is zero = infinity = reliable connection.

I do not understand low level bluetooth details, but is ERTM related to
OCF_WRITE_AUTOMATIC_FLUSH_TIMEOUT?

So what are default settings for L2CAP socket used by AVDTP/A2DP
profiles which are transferred to user application via DBUS?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com