linux-bluetooth.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* BlueZ Central to Peripheral latency issue
@ 2019-07-02 12:30 Mathias Baert
       [not found] ` <CAAu3APb3LtRkbsGp7kFiBLYMmgKGXiqxnc96ZuBNf93E7ygXSA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mathias Baert @ 2019-07-02 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth; +Cc: subhoshankar.basu, Jeroen.Hoebeke

Hi,

We are using the BlueZ 5.48 version on a Raspberry PI with Raspbian Stretch 9.1.

The setup is this PI connected with a Nordic Semiconductor nRF52840
device, via an IPv6 over BLE connection. The connection is using a
connection interval of 7.5 ms. Via throughput measurements with iperf,
both ways (central to peripheral and peripheral to central), we are
able to achieve maximally ~ 100 kbps (using the 1 Mbps PHY).

However, when looking into individual packet exchanges, we notice a
significant delay (up to 1 sec) in the RTT when pinging from the
peripheral to the BlueZ central and back. We also see a huge
fluctuation in this value and it also depends on the intervals at
which the pings are fired (lower throughput gives a much higher
average individual latency). When firing ping packets at a 1 sec
interval, it is definitely visible.

When looking into this, we found that the latency between the
peripheral and the central is quite stable and low enough. But the
latency between the central and peripheral is fluctuating a lot and is
generally quite high. Is this something you have noticed before? We
think that it could be a scheduling issue on the kernel, where higher
throughput gives more priority to Bluetooth communication?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Mathias Baert