Linux-Bluetooth Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Andrey Butirsky <butirsky@gmail.com>
To: linux-bluetooth@vger.kernel.org
Subject: first keystroke of BT-keyboards is missed
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 22:45:42 +0300

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:32:45 +0100, Alexander Holler
<holler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:holler@DOMAIN.HIDDEN>> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can't remember since when I'm seeing the kernel message "unknown
> main item tag 0x0" for many Bluetooth input devices, but it is since
> quiet some time.
> Has someone already tried to find out where that does come from?
>
> My first guess would be that bluez misses one or more bytes a
> connection startup, which is based on the fact that, since ever, it
> misses the first keystroke of BT-keyboards too (the keystroke which
> wakes up the keyboard and initiates the connection). And I'm pretty
> sure my keyboard does transmit that initiating keystroke, because
> Windows receives it. ;) Besides that, that guess isn't based on
> anything. I neither have tried to search through the source nor did I
> run some tests. But because I'm curious I can't completely ignore that
> kernel message, even if I haven't experienced any obvious problems. So
> here is the question if someone else has a pointer or has already
> searched what the reason for that message is. I don't think it's a
> fault of the used device(s), as I see this message for multiple
> bt-input-devices.

Hi, I have the same described problem - after BT-keyboard idle(10 min),
the first keystroke is missed, with "unknown main item tag 0x0" message
in log.
On the same system, Windows 10 doesn't have the problem - the keystroke
shows up successfully after reconnect.

Also, the same BT keyboard doesn't miss the keystroke with my Android
phone (it re-connects still).

This bug is very annoying, as I can't use my keyboard properly.

Any suggestion on problem resolving? I'm ready to assist in debug it
further.
Thanks.