From: Johannes Hirte <johannes.hirte@fem.tu-ilmenau.de>
To: "Yan, Zheng " <yanzheng@21cn.com>
Cc: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org, Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com>
Subject: Re: Still ENOSPC problems with 2.6.35-rc3
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:46:00 +0200	[thread overview]

Am Donnerstag 17 Juni 2010, 02:47:07 schrieb Yan, Zheng:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Johannes Hirte
>
> <johannes.hirte@fem.tu-ilmenau.de> wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag 17 Juni 2010, 01:12:54 schrieb Yan, Zheng:

> >> To avoid ENOSPC oops, btrfs in 2.6.35 reserves more metadata space for
> >> system use than older btrfs. If the FS has already ran out of metadata
> >> space, using btrfs in 2.6.35 doesn't help.
> >>
> >> Yan, Zheng
> >
> > So how can this be fixed/avoided? There must be some free metadata space,
> > since I was able to delete files, more than 20Gig, mostly small files.
> > Also from my understanding, when freeing space by deleting files,
> > metadata space should be freed. Or do I get something wrong here?
> > 2.6.35 does change something, since I can delete more files, where 2.6.34
> > does Oops. But you're right, it doesn't help at all. So, where is this
> > space and why it can't be used?
>
> what will happen if you keep deleting files using 2.6.35?

With 2.6.35 I'm able to continue deleting files, even those where 2.6.34 would
Oops. It's slow and give me many of this warnings in dmesg but they get
deleted. I didn't tried it to the end, but I can do if you want. I've saved
the affected filesystem to a separate partition, so I can test with it.

regards,
  Johannes