* Spurious mount point
@ 2018-10-15 15:05 Anton Shepelev
       [not found] ` <CAJCQCtSz+=uwXUFGxagoUOYxy99eCJGG-ezLVh0RO=vL=LReEg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Anton Shepelev @ 2018-10-15 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello, all

How can I track down the origin of this mount point:

   /dev/sda2 on /home/hana type btrfs (rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=259,subvol=/@/.snapshots/1/snapshot/hana)

if it is not present in /etc/fstab?  I shouldn't like to
find/grep thoughout the whole filesystem.

/\  http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

* Re: Spurious mount point
@ 2018-10-15 20:22 ` Chris Murphy
       [not found] ` <CAJCQCtSz+=uwXUFGxagoUOYxy99eCJGG-ezLVh0RO=vL=LReEg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Chris Murphy @ 2018-10-15 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Shepelev; +Cc: Btrfs BTRFS

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 9:05 AM, Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, all
>
> How can I track down the origin of this mount point:
>
>    /dev/sda2 on /home/hana type btrfs (rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=259,subvol=/@/.snapshots/1/snapshot/hana)
>
> if it is not present in /etc/fstab?  I shouldn't like to
> find/grep thoughout the whole filesystem.
>
> --
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\  http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Sounds like some service taking snapshots regularly is managing this.
Maybe this is Mint or Ubuntu and you're using Timeshift?

Maybe it'll show up in the journal if you add boot parameter
'systemd.log_level=debug' and reboot; then use 'journalctl -b | grep
mount' and it should show all instances logged instances of mount
events: systemd, udisks2, maybe others?

--
Chris Murphy

* Re: Spurious mount point
       [not found] ` <CAJCQCtSz+=uwXUFGxagoUOYxy99eCJGG-ezLVh0RO=vL=LReEg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-10-15 21:26   ` Anton Shepelev
From: Anton Shepelev @ 2018-10-15 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Murphy; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Chris Murphy to Anton Shepelev:

> > How can I track down the origin of this mount point:
> >
> > /dev/sda2 on /home/hana type btrfs (rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=259,subvol=/@/.snapshots/1/snapshot/hana)
> >
> > if it is not present in /etc/fstab?  I shouldn't like to
> > find/grep thoughout the whole filesystem.
>
> Sounds like some service taking snapshots regularly is
> managing this.  Maybe this is Mint or Ubuntu and you're
> using Timeshift?

It is SUSE Linux and (probably) its tool called `snapper',
but I have not found a clue in its documentation.

> Maybe it'll show up in the journal if you add boot
> parameter 'systemd.log_level=debug' and reboot; then use
> 'journalctl -b | grep mount' and it should show all
> instances logged instances of mount events: systemd,
> udisks2, maybe others?

I will try that as soon as the client lets me reboot that
machine.

@ 2018-10-15 21:33     ` Chris Murphy
From: Chris Murphy @ 2018-10-15 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anton Shepelev; +Cc: Chris Murphy, Btrfs BTRFS

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 3:26 PM, Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris Murphy to Anton Shepelev:
>
>> > How can I track down the origin of this mount point:
>> >
>> > /dev/sda2 on /home/hana type btrfs (rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=259,subvol=/@/.snapshots/1/snapshot/hana)
>> >
>> > if it is not present in /etc/fstab?  I shouldn't like to
>> > find/grep thoughout the whole filesystem.
>>
>> Sounds like some service taking snapshots regularly is
>> managing this.  Maybe this is Mint or Ubuntu and you're
>> using Timeshift?
>
> It is SUSE Linux and (probably) its tool called `snapper',
> but I have not found a clue in its documentation.

I wasn't aware that SUSE was now using the @ location for snapshots,
or that it was using Btrfs for /home. For a while it's been XFS with a
Btrfs sysroot.

--
Chris Murphy

* Re: Spurious mount point
@ 2018-10-15 22:01       ` Anton Shepelev
From: Anton Shepelev @ 2018-10-15 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Murphy; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Chris Murphy:

> I wasn't aware that SUSE was now using the @ location for
> snapshots, or that it was using Btrfs for /home. For a
> while it's been XFS with a Btrfs sysroot.

Ours does use btrfs for `/' and xfs for `/home' *except*
`/home/hana', which is strange and wonderful, because the
standard usage is there in fstab and hana mount is created
somewhere else.

@ 2018-10-18 12:51       ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2018-10-18 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Murphy, Anton Shepelev; +Cc: Btrfs BTRFS

16.10.2018 0:33, Chris Murphy пишет:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 3:26 PM, Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Chris Murphy to Anton Shepelev:

>>> Sounds like some service taking snapshots regularly is
>>> managing this.  Maybe this is Mint or Ubuntu and you're
>>> using Timeshift?
>>
>> It is SUSE Linux and (probably) its tool called `snapper',
>> but I have not found a clue in its documentation.
>
> I wasn't aware that SUSE was now using the @ location for snapshots,

It does not "use @ for snapshots". It is using /@ as top level directory
for root layout. This was changed from using / directly quite some time
ago (2-3 years).

Snapshots are located in own subvolume which is either /.snapshots (if
your install is old) or /@/.snapshots and is always mounted as
/.snapshots in current root.

> or that it was using Btrfs for /home. For a while it's been XFS with a
> Btrfs sysroot.

Default proposal is separate home partition with XFS, it can of course
be changed during installation.

Note that after default installation /@/.snapshots/1/snapshot is default
subvolume and *the* filesystem root, which gets mounted as "/". So it
could be result of bind-mount of /hana on /home/hana (/hana is resolved
to "default-subvolume"/hana => /@/.snapshots/1/snapshot/hana).