From: Johannes Hirte <johannes.hirte@datenkhaos.de>
To: linux-btrfs <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: unexpected truncated files
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 21:38:46 +0200	[thread overview]

While testing with the current 5.7 development kernel, I've encountered
some strange behaviour. I'm using Gentoo linux, and during updating the
system I got some unexpected errors. It looked like some files were
missing. Some investigations showed me, that files from shortly
installed packages were truncated to zero. So for example the config
files for apache webserver were affected. I've reinstalled apache,
verified that the config was ok and continued the system update with the
next package. After this, the apache config files were truncated again.
I've found several files from different packages that were affed too,
but only text files (configs, cmake-files, headers). Files which were
writen, are truncated by some other write operation to the filesystem.

I'm not sure, if this is really caused by btrfs, but it's the most
obvious candidate. After switching back to 5.6-kernel, the truncation
stopped und I was able to (re-)install the packages without any trouble.

Has anyone ideas what could cause this behaviour?

  Johannes Hirte