* Is SATA ALPM safe with btrfs now (no more corruption)?
@ 2020-05-29  4:26 Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2020-05-29  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

TLP allows SATA power management: SATA_LINKPWR_ON_BAT=max_performance

There are some old posts that talk about corruption if you enable this
with btrfs:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TLP#Btrfs
says not to enable it

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/btrfs-corruption-with-tlp/25158

https://github.com/linrunner/TLP/issues/128
says it may not be safe

https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/5tm5uh/btrfs_and_tlp/
also talks about corruption

https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4f5xvh/saving_power_is_the_btrfs_dataloss_warning_still/
say it's probably ok

My feeling is that it's probably ok nowadays with a 5.6+ kernel.

Would anyone disagree?

Thanks,
Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/

* Re: Is SATA ALPM safe with btrfs now (no more corruption)?
@ 2020-06-01 17:39 ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2020-06-01 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc MERLIN; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 09:26:15PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> TLP allows SATA power management: SATA_LINKPWR_ON_BAT=max_performance
>
> There are some old posts that talk about corruption if you enable this
> with btrfs:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TLP#Btrfs
> says not to enable it
>
> https://forum.manjaro.org/t/btrfs-corruption-with-tlp/25158
>
> https://github.com/linrunner/TLP/issues/128
> says it may not be safe
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/5tm5uh/btrfs_and_tlp/
> also talks about corruption
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4f5xvh/saving_power_is_the_btrfs_dataloss_warning_still/
> say it's probably ok
>
> My feeling is that it's probably ok nowadays with a 5.6+ kernel.
>
> Would anyone disagree?

I don't and reading the posts, it's a hardware problem leading to
filesystem corruption. It's affecting all filesystem but the detection
capabilities differ, so it stuck with btrfs.

At least the Arch wiki note can be removed, I don't see any value
keeping it there, the fixes to ATA subsystem have been merged to 4.15.

* Re: Is SATA ALPM safe with btrfs now (no more corruption)?
@ 2020-06-12 18:16   ` Marc MERLIN
From: Marc MERLIN @ 2020-06-12 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, linux-btrfs

On Mon, Jun 01, 2020 at 07:39:25PM +0200, David Sterba wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 09:26:15PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > TLP allows SATA power management: SATA_LINKPWR_ON_BAT=max_performance
> >
> > There are some old posts that talk about corruption if you enable this
> > with btrfs:
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TLP#Btrfs
> > says not to enable it
> >
> > https://forum.manjaro.org/t/btrfs-corruption-with-tlp/25158
> >
> > https://github.com/linrunner/TLP/issues/128
> > says it may not be safe
> >
> > https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/5tm5uh/btrfs_and_tlp/
> > also talks about corruption
> >
> > https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4f5xvh/saving_power_is_the_btrfs_dataloss_warning_still/
> > say it's probably ok
> >
> > My feeling is that it's probably ok nowadays with a 5.6+ kernel.
> >
> > Would anyone disagree?
>
> I don't and reading the posts, it's a hardware problem leading to
> filesystem corruption. It's affecting all filesystem but the detection
> capabilities differ, so it stuck with btrfs.
>
> At least the Arch wiki note can be removed, I don't see any value
> keeping it there, the fixes to ATA subsystem have been merged to 4.15.

Sorry, it looks like I never replied to you. Thanks for confirming my
guess.

Marc

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                       | PGP 7F55D5F27AAF9D08