The file log.txt has one of many kernel message logs (logged via syslog) about btrfs_rename2 that happened while the laptop in question was apparently working OK. The file dm.txt has part of the output of dmesg after the system got into a state where all disk access was going to D state, that wasn't logged via syslog because writing to files was impossible. Any suggestions on what to do to further debug this? The problem of all processes going to D state happens periodically, so presumably it will happen again soon enough. I've got the commonly used utilities like cat, dmesg, ssh, etc locked in RAM so I can run them without disk access. It appears that the BTRFS filesystem (which is used for all storage on the laptop) works fine as long there is only reads from cache. I've tried kernel 5.2.11 but that one hangs on resume.