From: Qu Wenruo <quwenruo.btrfs@gmx.com>
To: Marc Lehmann <schmorp@schmorp.de>
Cc: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: first mount(s) after unclean shutdown always fail
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 08:02:52 +0800	[thread overview]

On 2020/7/2 上午7:55, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 02, 2020 at 07:45:07AM +0800, Qu Wenruo <quwenruo.btrfs@gmx.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, but it's not.

>>> Why would I want to try this?
>>
>> Read the man page of "btrfs-rescue".
>
> Well, nothing in there explains why I should use it in my situation, or
> what it has to do with the problem I reported, so again, why would I want
> to do this?

Well, if you want to go this way, let me show the code here.

From fs/btrfs/volumes.c:btrfs_read_chunk_tree():

        if (btrfs_super_total_bytes(fs_info->super_copy) <
            fs_info->fs_devices->total_rw_bytes) {
                btrfs_err(fs_info,
        "super_total_bytes %llu mismatch with fs_devices total_rw_bytes
%llu",
                          btrfs_super_total_bytes(fs_info->super_copy),
                          fs_info->fs_devices->total_rw_bytes);
                ret = -EINVAL;
                goto error;
        }

Doesn't this explain why we abort the mount?

> Also, shouldn't btrfs be fixed instead? I was under the impression that
> one of the goals of btrfs is to be safe w.r.t. crashes.

That's why we provide the btrfs rescue fix-device-size.

We don't want to spend too complex logic on some already screwed
accounting numbers.

Furthermore, a btrfs check run without --repair may expose more problems.

> The bug I reported has very little or nothing to with strict checking.

I have provide the code to prove why it's related.
Whether you believe is your problem then.

Thanks,
Qu