* ditto blocks on ZFS
@ 2014-05-16  3:07 Russell Coker
From: Russell Coker @ 2014-05-16  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

https://blogs.oracle.com/bill/entry/ditto_blocks_the_amazing_tape

Probably most of you already know about this, but for those of you who haven't
the above describes ZFS "ditto blocks" which is a good feature we need on
BTRFS.  The briefest summary is that on top of the RAID redundancy there is
one more copy of metadata than there is of data, so copies=2 implies 3 copies
of metadata and the default option of 1 copy of data means that metadata is
"dup" in addition to whatever RAID redundancy is in place.

* Re: ditto blocks on ZFS
@ 2014-05-22 15:28 Tomasz Chmielewski
From: Tomasz Chmielewski @ 2014-05-22 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

> I thought an important idea behind btrfs was that we avoid by design
> in the first place the very long and vulnerable RAID rebuild scenarios
> suffered for block-level RAID...

This may be true for SSD disks - for ordinary disks it's not entirely
the case.

For most RAID rebuilds, it still seems way faster with software RAID-1
where one drive is being read at its (almost) full speed, and the other
is being written to at its (almost) full speed (assuming no other IO
load).

With btrfs RAID-1, the way balance is made after disk replace, it takes
lots of disk head movements resulting in overall small speed to rebuild
the RAID, especially with lots of snapshots and related fragmentation.

And the balance is still not smart and is causing reads from one device,
and writes to *both* devices (extra unnecessary write to the
healthy device - while it should read from the healthy device and write
to the replaced device only).

Of course, other factors such as the amount of data or disk IO usage
during rebuild apply.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org