From: Brendan Hide <brendan@swiftspirit.co.za>
To: Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@gmail.com>,
	russell@coker.com.au, linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ditto blocks on ZFS
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 22:11:16 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2014/05/20 04:07 PM, Austin S Hemmelgarn wrote:
> On 2014-05-19 22:07, Russell Coker wrote:
>> [snip]
>> As an aside, I'd really like to be able to set RAID levels by subtree.  I'd
>> like to use RAID-1 with ditto blocks for my important data and RAID-0 for
>> unimportant data.
>>
> But the proposed changes for n-way replication would already handle
> this.
> [snip]

Russell's specific request above is probably best handled by being able
to change replication levels per subvolume - this won't be handled by
N-way replication.

Extra replication on leaf nodes will make relatively little difference
in the scenarios laid out in this thread - but on "trunk" nodes (folders
or subvolumes closer to the filesystem root) it makes a significant
difference. "Plain" N-way replication doesn't flexibly treat these two
nodes differently.

As an example, Russell might have a server with two disks - yet he wants
6 copies of all metadata for subvolumes and their immediate subfolders.
At three folders deep he "only" wants to have 4 copies. At six folders
deep, only 2. Ditto blocks add an attractive safety net without
unnecessarily doubling or tripling the size of *all* metadata.

It is a good idea. The next question to me is whether or not it is
something that can be implemented elegantly and whether or not a
talented *dev* thinks it is a good idea.

--
Brendan Hide